Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric5676
Level 7

Can I use an ethernet to usb adapter for this?

Normally people would buy a wireless bridge or range extender  for this and I have no qualms doing so but before I do I just so happen to have a perfectly good network adapter right here that I could use:  The NETGEAR AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter High Gain Dual Band USB 3.0 that matches with my existing Nighthawk router. 

The Roku Ultra in question is in a room with poor to average signal at best.  I'd like to connect the Roku Ultra via the ethernet port to an ethernet-usb adapter and then connect the usb end (female) to this Netgear USB adapter.  

Is that a viable concept and if it is what kind of ethernet-usb adapter would I use to do it if so?  Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Can I use an ethernet to usb adapter for this?

I doubt this would work, because there's no way you can install drivers, and there's likely no valid drivers for the Roku anyway. But if the Ethernet to USB adapter is able to mimic a network connector, who knows? You'd have to try it I would imagine. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos