Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Buffering on Roku Express vs. Streaming Stick +

Some channels buffer on my Roku Express. Would buying a Streaming Stick+ do better?  Does it have a bigger buffer memory?

Are there other hints to reduce buffering?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Buffering on Roku Express vs. Streaming Stick +

@larry2 Thanks for getting in touch. 

Buffering behavior would relate to network connectivity. Roku Express devices are only compatible with 2.4GHz wireless networks, whereas the Roku Streaming Stick+ is compatible with both 2.4 and 5GHz wireless networks. The Roku Streaming Stick+ also has an advanced wireless receiver to help improve wireless connection quality. 

I would recommend talking to your ISP or wireless router manufacturer and trying a couple things to improve connection quality for your Roku Express. 

1. Try changing the wireless broadcast channel for the 2.4GHz wireless broadcast on your network to help reduce wireless interference. 

2. Split your 2.4GHz wireless network onto it's own SSID and then try adjusting the wireless broadcast channel until you find one that improves your connection quality by reducing interference. 

You can see more tips for improving your wireless network connection here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks for the update.  The wifi router is mine, and I get great connectivity using speedtest.net on my phones and stuff (like over 100 mbs).  Even the Roku reports 34 mbs when it kicks me out of the app, so it is something up with my ISP or the app's servers.  I was just wondering if the streaming stick + had a larger buffer memory so might cover the ISP's problems.  It kicked me out right when the Jeopardy! contestants were answering final today, and then Check Connection took a while but reported 34 mbs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@larry2 Thanks for the extra details here.. What channel were you streaming when you said it exited the channel during playback? Did you see a message on screen that mentioned buffering or loading, then the channel exited, or what exactly occurred? 

I might recommend following these steps for that channel that can help resolve that type of behavior in some cases: 

1. Remove the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key and choosing 'Remove channel'.

2. Restart your Roku device from Settings>System>System restart 

3. Once your device restarts, add the channel back one more from 'Streaming channels' on the Roku home screen. 

Please keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The worst offender is the Spectrum Choice app, and within that PBS has the most problems.  The Roku reports a network error and includes a button to go to 'check connection'.  Check connection always takes a while to run, but then we usually get back into Spectrum with no problems, although sometimes it kicks us out again.  I will delete and reinstall the app, but I did notice a recent update (layout change) and it still acts the same.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

First it said Network Unavailable, exit to check connection?  Then it came back & buffered a bit, then it said RLP-1002 Network Unavailable.  I did a check connection, and got 34 Mbps.

0 Kudos