Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKM61
Level 7

Buffering behavior - Can a Roku become outdated?

I have Sling & Disney+ it stops and buffers quite Abit. My internet is fast enough. Plus do they still make a newer Roku with audio outputs?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Can a Roku become outdated?

@RKM61 wrote:
I have Sling & Disney+ it stops and buffers quite Abit. My internet is fast enough. Plus do they still make a newer Roku with audio outputs?

Can a Roku become outdated? Absolutely. Your Roku was released in Sep 2013, so it's getting up there in electronic age. Roku hardware is significantly more powerful now, and the OS is designed for more powerful boxes. That's what makes things run slower on the older boxes. I'm actually surprised Disney is even supporting a player as old as yours. 

However, you also asked about analog audio output. None of the latest Roku players have such. The Roku Express+ model 3910 was the last one that had it. Roku does not sell it any longer on their own site, but it's still available from them on Amazon for $35. It's now 2 generations old (Oct 2017 release date), but still in demand because of the analog outputs. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RKM61
Level 7

Is there something made to adapt the current HDMI to RCA plugs like on the back of my current Roku? That way I can still us my current setup. Obviously my current Roku has female RCA plugs I plug into for my stereo connection
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

There are HDMI to composite converters. Some people have used them successfully, while others have had problems. I can't offer any specific model that might work. All I can suggest it to try one, and if it doesn't work return it and try a different one. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos