Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit Rate Override question

Sorry I'm new to Roku and just want to know if I did anything wrong or not.  I have very good internet speed about 75mbps download. In any case I entered Roku Bit Rate Override screen just to see what it does, by default its set to Automatic. Since my internet speed is fast, should I leave it on Automatic? From my understanding if I leave it on Automatic it will give me best speed available that is coming from my router correct? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
37 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Bit Rate Override question

Technically, yes.  There still may be issues depending on your ping in the line to the server (one bad server hop can severely damage quality ... there's no fixing that ... it's the nature of the beast).

We generally don't recommend touching any of the secret screens unless someone in support advises it, diagnostic reasons.  Most who use this screen do so due to data caps with their ISP.

If you've ever done a /traceroute on your PC, you'll understand the ping and hop issue ... if not, we can discuss it further.  For the most part, you can ignore it (the internet infrastructure is actually rather stable now, compared to a few years back).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos

The list in bit rate override screen starts at 3.5 and goes down from there, like I said my internet speed is way faster than 3.5, so if I leave it on Automatic will I get speeds faster than 3.5 or not? 
I'm just worried that by experimenting with that secret screen I didn't mess up my speed or connection. 
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"John Randwood" wrote:
The list in bit rate override screen starts at 3.5 and goes down from there, like I said my internet speed is way faster than 3.5, so if I leave it on Automatic will I get speeds faster than 3.5 or not? 
I'm just worried that by experimenting with that secret screen I didn't mess up my speed or connection. 

Most likely not.

If I remember correctly, Roku will use whatever speed it needs when streaming.

That screen is very very old.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos

When you said that you don't recommend Roku users visit that screen is it because it can damage or mess something up, or is it because of something else? 
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"John Randwood" wrote:
When you said that you don't recommend Roku users visit that screen is it because it can damage or mess something up, or is it because of something else? 

It's mainly because we don't want end-users to use these screens without direction.  I don't think you can really hurt yourself with any of them (esp this one), but it's best to avoid them unless directed otherwise from support personnel.  That's why they're considered "secret" screens.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos

So if my speed from my internet provider is 75mbps and I left it on Automatic, will I get higher speeds than 3.5mbps. I was confused by the speeds listed in that bit rate list. The highest is 3.5, which is very slow. So if I leave it on Automatic will Roku choose one of the speeds on that list or will it give me faster speeds than what the list offers? 
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"John Randwood" wrote:
So if my speed from my internet provider is 75mbps and I left it on Automatic, will I get higher speeds than 3.5mbps. I was confused by the speeds listed in that bit rate list. The highest is 3.5, which is very slow. So if I leave it on Automatic will Roku choose one of the speeds on that list or will it give me faster speeds than what the list offers? 

Automatic will go above the 3.5. Back then (Roku Generation 1 days) 3.5 was one of the higher bitrates most Streamers used, but since then, obviously the bitrates have increased. This was more for troubleshooting the different streams at different bitrates before adaptive streaming came along.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos

I just wanna make sure I did it right. When I visited the screen, Automatic was highlighted and there was an X next to it. I pressed the OK button and the screen went away, was that the right away to close that screen Or should I have used the back arrow?

Thanks
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"John Randwood" wrote:
I just wanna make sure I did it right. When I visited the screen, Automatic was highlighted and there was an X next to it. I pressed the OK button and the screen went away, was that the right away to close that screen Or should I have used the back arrow?

Thanks

You should be fine. If you had Automatic selected, you're fine. You can either go back to the screen to check or just reboot the Roku (it reverts back to Automatic after reboots).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos