Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Asking if I’m home or at a hotel or dorm

I’ve got the same exact problem. Worked for a day or two then asks if I’m at home or dorm. It pops up for a second that I’m connected but then disconnected right as I saw it. Since then I have not been able to use my hotspot for my Roku anymore then the 2 days. I’ve got unlimited data and hotspot so I’m confused here myself 

I changed network name and password. Still doesn’t work. I connection reset, didn’t work. then saw factory reset if it still doesn’t work. I did it and still have the same problem. Now can’t access my Home Screen of Roku because it has to check for a system update without wifi

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @DomerSimpson

Thanks for your post. 

We're sorry if it caused any difficulties. To perform a software update, your Roku player must have a good connection to the internet. If for some reason this connection is unreliable, your Roku device may be unable to update to the latest software. We suggest you connect the device to the Wi-Fi home broadband and then try again. 

Here are some troubleshooting steps to try and resolve this: What to do if your Roku device is unable to update software.

Let us know if you need further help from there. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Mative

I have disconnected the power, disconnected the roku, rebooted the home gateway numerous times. I choose the network, enter password, the system says it is connected excellent strength but when I choose the service, no matter which one, it goes back to saying no nw connection found and starts again by asking if I'm at a hotel, dorm or home.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Mative

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter. I understand that you are unable to connect your Roku device using hotel/dorm wireless network.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Have you tried connecting your device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if it will connect?

Follow these steps to connect to the internet:

-After you arrive at your destination and set up your device, initiate and authenticate the connection to the internet using the instructions below.

Initiate the connection

-Open the Settings menu on your Roku device to initiate the connection.

-Press the Home button  on your Roku remote.
-Scroll up or down and select Settings.
-Select Network.
-Select Set up connection.
-Select Wireless.
-From the list of available networks, choose the wireless network for the hotel or college dorm. -If you do not see the network, select Scan again to see all networks.
-After your Roku device connects to the network, select I am at a hotel or college dorm.
For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to use Hotel and Dorm Connect to connect to the internet 

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Mshaffer
Reel Rookie

No one is traveling anywhere. We are all having this issue by turning on our TV the same as we have been in our homes like we did last week when it worked. Your issue is impacting EVERY other app we watch using your device. I am ready to trash your device and service and move to another. You need to get this solved because no one has time for this run around. 

Hoshigetsu
Reel Rookie

Have you changed your new Gateways password? Xfinity has a security setting that doesn't allow you to connect to the gateway with the default password. 

Try changing the wifi password and see what happens. 

0 Kudos
Mshaffer
Reel Rookie

I don’t have that internet carrier