Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yo_momma
Level 7

Asking if I’m home or at a hotel or dorm

I got a new xfinity router and when I went to connect the new WiFi to the ROKU it is asking if I’m home or at a dorm/hotel. I say I’m home and it says I’m connected to internet and wireless connection, the strength was excellent too. But when I go to Netflix or something nothing shows up, so it’s like I have no internet. Please help I have factory reset and rebooted many times, help. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Asking if I’m home or at a hotel or dorm

@Yo_momma wrote:

I got a new xfinity router and when I went to connect the new WiFi to the ROKU it is asking if I’m home or at a dorm/hotel. I say I’m home and it says I’m connected to internet and wireless connection, the strength was excellent too. But when I go to Netflix or something nothing shows up, so it’s like I have no internet. Please help I have factory reset and rebooted many times, help. 

You have it backwards - you dont connect the WiFi to the Roku, you connect the Roku to the WiFi.

However, you havent stated your Roku model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

Make sure your new XFinity modem/router/gateway has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs enabled (preferably separated/different) with WPA2 security, and that you arent connecting to any Guest network that may be enabled by default in your new modem/router/gateway.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Yo_momma
Level 7

Re: Asking if I’m home or at a hotel or dorm

It’s a ROKU stick+ and I updated it yesterday. And it’s only one network and I don’t think I can separate them, I’ll try

0 Kudos