Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yo_momma
Reel Rookie

Asking if I’m home or at a hotel or dorm

I got a new xfinity router and when I went to connect the new WiFi to the ROKU it is asking if I’m home or at a dorm/hotel. I say I’m home and it says I’m connected to internet and wireless connection, the strength was excellent too. But when I go to Netflix or something nothing shows up, so it’s like I have no internet. Please help I have factory reset and rebooted many times, help. 

17 REPLIES 17
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Asking if I’m home or at a hotel or dorm

@Yo_momma wrote:

I got a new xfinity router and when I went to connect the new WiFi to the ROKU it is asking if I’m home or at a dorm/hotel. I say I’m home and it says I’m connected to internet and wireless connection, the strength was excellent too. But when I go to Netflix or something nothing shows up, so it’s like I have no internet. Please help I have factory reset and rebooted many times, help. 

You have it backwards - you dont connect the WiFi to the Roku, you connect the Roku to the WiFi.

However, you havent stated your Roku model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

Make sure your new XFinity modem/router/gateway has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs enabled (preferably separated/different) with WPA2 security, and that you arent connecting to any Guest network that may be enabled by default in your new modem/router/gateway.

0 Kudos
Yo_momma
Reel Rookie

It’s a ROKU stick+ and I updated it yesterday. And it’s only one network and I don’t think I can separate them, I’ll try

0 Kudos
Jenras09

Terrible. I need help to. My Mobil hot spot was working all day and now I get this "dorm or at home" message and now I can't access Netflix as well. I do know I have hotspot and have never had any issues untill now.

0 Kudos
DKM17

Also havi g this issue and it's driving me crazy. Won't connect to anything and keeps asking this useless question.

0 Kudos
SVJeff
Channel Surfer

Same here. I have 2 Roku TVs and neither will let me see anything even after verifying that the internet is connected. I get the ‘home or dorm/hotel’ question, it appears to connect, then nothing. This is new behavior on both units in the last 8-10 days.

Edited to add: one unit (TCL 8103X) shows the last update check on 6/6/22 at 10:21am (running 11.0.0 build 4193-48). The 2nd unit (Insignia 7301X) shows the last update check on 6/5/22 at 2:21pm (running 11.0.0 build 4193-31).  I did a network connection reset on #2 - no effect.  Currently, both TVs show connected to the internet yet no apps/channels will work.

2nd edit: I have the TCL unit for sale. I reset it last week in preparation (I think that’s where the June 6 date is from) and everything connected, downloaded and played correctly. I haven’t tried it again until today. Since it needed re-resetting for the new owner, I tried it today. It reset, connects to the internet and then fails when it checks for a software update. Now, I’m stuck there on the TCL. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@SVJeff, have you reset all your network equipment (gateway/modem/router)?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Hoshigetsu
Reel Rookie

You will need to change the default network name and password. 

I just dealt with this from tech support. 

0 Kudos
KIT4242
Reel Rookie

What tech support and what default password and network name.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@KIT4242

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos