Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MamaBlamer
Level 7

App remote

I have been using the app remote since my dogs chewed up my last one. I got new internet provider and didnt change the wifi connection on my roku. Now i can find ise my box because it wont connect since it still has the old wifi connection and i already canceled the other internet  provider. What can i do to connect without an actual remote?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: App remote

Depends on what model Roku player you have. If it's a Roku Stick, you cannot connect it to the wireless without a Roku remote. If it's any other Roku player, they all support IR, so you could pick up an inexpensive universal IR remote for under $10. My local Fred Meyer stores have them as low as $6-7. 

If you do have a Stick, you have one other potential option. Go into your new router and change both the SSID and password to match what your previous router used. Then your Roku should connect back up without an issue. But the SSID and password must be identical to the old one.

If you have the old purple Roku Stick (model 3500) you should know that replacement remotes are no longer available, and that player is unable to run many of the newest channels. If you have that one, consider it time for an upgrade.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos