Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: All five Roku units will suddenly not connect to internet. Yet others will

Jump to solution

This is si frustrating. I have same issue. 4 Roku devices none of the will connect.  All my other devices: phone, laptop, iPad all connect with no issues. The common thread seems to be Spectrum. Between Spectrum and Roku I wish some would figure this out. I've done everything suggested on this site, all good information, but nothing has workrd. The one thing I noticed is prior to this happening my Spectrum modem had 4 lights, the 4th light showing 2.4 GHz lit up. Now I only have 3 lights on the modem and the 2.4 GHz light is not lit. Spectrum tech had no explanation for that other than it shouldn't be lit since I don't use their wifi, however that light was always lit prior. Not sure if I should waste my time by calling Spectrum or not.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

One piece of information from my experience that I haven't seen in the messages that I read is that on two of our Roku tv's we have an Apple TV device connected at one of the HDMI ports.  Although Roku isn't working, the Apple TV has no problem connecting and streaming.  This indicates to me that this is, at least in part, a Roku issue.  Perhaps it's a communication issue where both Spectrum and Roku have blame.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@SomeHuman wrote:

@renojim Thanks for the input!

I've tried to downgrade the software using the secret menu, but I don't see anywhere you can select a version.

Each time it simply says it will upgrade to the version I already have (which I've tried).

How are you guys selecting a specific version? 

You can't select a specific version.  That's why the rollback is hit or miss and why I did it immediately.  If it doesn't offer you the previous version you're out of luck.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Steve74 - Thanks for sharing that info. I agree. Communication issue between Spectrum and Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@tee_run  my Spectrum modem has and always had 3 lights only lit. The wireless 2.5 and 5Ghz lights flash at first and then go off. Like you, I don't use their wireless built into the cable modem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

It would be helpful to understand from Roku how they determine Internet connectivity. Do they contact certain servers? if so it would be good to know which ones. I've thought of trying to do a network sniff using Wireshark to see what they are doing. I suspect that  the server they are contacting is unreachable for some reason. Maybe Spectrum is blocking the request to the server or the server is not accepting the request or the request is malformed when sent by the Roku software. I dunno, I'm just speculating.

In any case, it would be good to know how Roku tests for Internet connectivity...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I agree with 'SomeHuman', it would be helpful to know how Roku determines connectivity.

I see it making DNS calls for 
captive.roku.com (the only one that responds to a ping)
cooper.logs.roku.com
scribe.logs.roku.com
api.sr.roku.com
ravm.tv

Looking at various forums - its seems in the past when this happens it clears itself up in a few days but not this time. That makes me feel like its a DNS issue. Roku or Spectrum has made a change and it  normally takes a while to update the servers throughout the internet. Again, not this time.

If we knew how Roku determined connectivity, we could hopefully troubleshoot enough to at least get Roku or Spectrum to admit its on their end and then fix it.

I lean towards Spectrum as the problem. I was on my computer, my wife watching Roku. At midnight the internet went out. I unplugged the spectrum modem and waited 1 minute, plugged it back in. No internet. I had the use Spectrum's website help (on my phone) and they reset my modem. The Internet returned but all our Roku devices (1 wired and 3 wireless) immediately had the connectivity issue. Granted, it could be a coincidence.

I'm stuck at home for another week. I want to take one of my Roku devices to work or a friends house and capture a successful Wireshark session.  Maybe I can see something when I compare the results from home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I started having the same problem yesterday with 2 Roku Sticks, a Roku Premiere and a Roku TV. All 4 devices have excellent network connection but unable to connect to the internet. No combination of resetting equipment has made any difference. Spectrum is my ISP. 

Interesting facts:

1. Based on another users suggestion, I tried using my mobile hotspot to connect the Roku to the internet - it worked perfectly, so the device itself isn't the issue. 

2. Netflix works (kinda), despite the Roku error 009 (Unable to Connect to Internet). It lags a bit when starting but I am able to stream, which tells me that the problem is NOT truly a lack of internet connection. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Ok, after a long arduous series of troubleshooting steps, I have solved the problem with my 4 Roku devices. The issue was with my cable modem/ISP. I spent most of yesterday and part of the day before going back and forth with my ISP (Spectrum) explaining the problem and they wouldn't accept that the common denominator was their service - the Rokus worked using mobile internet. 

After a point, I suspected that my cable modem was behaving differently (lights were off that had previously been on) so I started down that rabbit hole with tech support. When they were unable to remotely access my modem, I decided the equipment must be the culprit. I switched to a new cable modem and now all 4 Roku devices are connecting to the internet. 

FWIW, the previous modem was a Technicolor TC8715D DOCSIS 3.0 Modem/Router Combo.

My new modem is a Motorola? Technicolor? E31T2V1 DOCSIS 3.1

I truly hope this helps some of you who are dealing with this headache. I'll repost on the other threads that I replied to. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have 4 roku's including one through ethernet. They were all failing the same way.  Spectrum logged into my modem just so they could tell me it's not their fault.  Then the ethernet one suddenly worked.  It still gives an error and asks if I want to proceed, but at least I can proceed and it works.  Wifi still doesn't work unless I use hotspot.  I replaced my routers, so it's definitely spectrum.  Going to demand a new modem today.

0 Kudos