Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: All five Roku units will suddenly not connect to internet. Yet others will

Jump to solution

See if this helps - it has worked for me numerous times:

Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting).

After the router comes back up, restart the Roku via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart) to start with a clean slate.

Reconnect to your network.

There have been a couple of times the reset didn't do it, and I had to unplug the power supply for a minute or so before I could then reconnect.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Same problem here with 5 Roku's suddenly not connecting to internet. Connection test shows wireless connection is OK, but fails the internet connection test (no check mark). Gives a 0009 error. This started a few days ago and all my Roku's do the same thing. Have spent 2 days trouble shooting this. Here is what I've found so far:

1) Same issue regardless if Roku is wired or wireless. All other device in my house have not issues wired or wireless.

2) My Roku's will connect fine to internet if I use my cell phone hotspot - NO 0009 error and shows check mark for internet connection. This is key since it shows the issue is probably not with the Roku's. I think this narrows it down to something with my router or the cable company (Spectrum in my case).

3) I've rebooted (cold boot) my router and the cable modem (multiple times) with no change - 0009 error on Roku.

4) I've reloaded the firmware on my router (Asus ac68U) to both the current version and a version several revs back with no change - 0009 error on Roku.

My guess is that it is something that Spectrum has done to block the check that the Roku makes to determine if it has internet access. I'm off to call Spectrum about it...

5) Called Spectrum and they remotely reset my cable modem. No change to the Roku's.

6) Loaded a 3rd party firmware on my router. No change to the Roku's.

I'm convinced that is is related to some change that Spectrum made. Will try to to talk their second-lvel support tomorrow. 

Hopefully Roku support can tell us what's goin on....

Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@SomeHuman, did your Roku's recently update to software version 9.4?  Check at Settings->System->About.  Seeing lots of problems with that update.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@renojim The version I have is 9.3.0 build 4194-24. So it doesn't seem to be just 9.4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Exactly!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

So after replacing the modem, routers, countless resets, and even trying a Firestick that didn't work either... I called Spectrum one more time.   The tech says it must be "my equipment" so they activate the wifi on the modem they had provided.  After about a half-hour of him tinkering to get the wifi function turned on the supplied modem/router everything suddenly works!  So after telling me it will cost another 8-10 dollars a month for the wifi function I just agree and hang up.    Afterward, I return to my routers (the original Netgear and the one day old TP-Link Wifi6 router.  They both work now!!!   This is absolutely a Spectrum Issue they won't admit to!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Sharx Glad you resolved your issues...

I have NOT had success dealing with Spectrum. They had me connect a Roku directly wired to the cable modem. It connects to the network, but continues to fail the Internet connection. They reset their cable modem several times with no change.

They then had me hook up a laptop wired to the cable modem. It connects to the Internet just fine.

At that point Spectrum tech rep said you need to contact Roku to resolve the issue. 

I'm about ready to trash all five of my Roku devices....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I understand the frustration for sure! But I will tell you I moved one of the devices to another location (still Spectrum internet) and they worked fine.  I'm far from a technical IT person but I feel that somehow Spectrum internet is "pulsing" for lack of a better term and the streaming devices do not like it.  The Ipad and other devices will work around the issue. But the Roku and Firestick devices simply won't work.  Spectrum can fix the issue. Either by chance, or design.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

I have nothing helpful to add, but I do have Spectrum and when v9.3 first hit my Roku 3 it would no longer connect to the Internet (and it's wired).  I didn't waste any time troubleshooting; I just downgraded it to 9.2 and haven't allowed it to update since.  However, I have a Premiere that's now on 9.4 and connects most times without any problem (most, but not every time).  My theory is that Roku's Internet connection test is trying to access some server that is unreachable for some reason.  I've also noticed that I'll occasionally get the "Your device isn't connected, proceed anyway?" prompt and everything works just fine.  It makes one wonder why Roku bothers with their flawed tests at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@renojim Thanks for the input!

I've tried to downgrade the software using the secret menu, but I don't see anywhere you can select a version.

Each time it simply says it will upgrade to the version I already have (which I've tried).

How are you guys selecting a specific version? 

0 Kudos