Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thelwelee
Level 7

All devices connected and working except Roku

Only Roku will not stay connected to wireless. All of my devices work find and connect to my Internet, except for Roku. This is frustrating. I bought four Roku devices and they are constantly not working. This was all a waste of money. It is not my Internet, it is only Roku that is not working. Four cellphones, an iPad, one desktop and one laptop will connect fine to the Internet. The only thing that doesn’t work is Roku. Apparently it’s not my devices’ connection but Roku. 1 out of 5 rating.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
Rdjntx
Level 9

Re: All devices connected and working except Roku

before giving up ....  you might want to read some of the other posts on this topic.   but to summerize LOTS of rokus are not connecting to the internet in spite of saying they have a solid connection to the wireless network.   Most common solution has been to update your router/modem to a newer model.  If you have one provided by your ISP it is as simple and taking the old one in and saying you want a newer/updated one.   this has solved a lot of folk's problem, including mine 

0 Kudos
DanielS
Level 7

My new Roku Ultra will not stay connected to our wireless internet.   We have Spectrum.   All our other Rokus and devices have no connection issues just the new Roku Ultra we purchased.   We have 2.4g and 5g as an option.  The TV we have it connected to is an old smart tv that only has Netflix and Prime as app options. That's why we bought the roku.  At least every 2 or 3 days the Ultra looses it's connection.  I unplug it and just watch Netflix on the TV.  My old smart tv maintains it's connection.  The next evening I plug in the roku ultra before bed and it's working fine again.  I don't reset my router, resetting the roku via settings does nothing.   I have to physically unplug it for an evening, and then it works fine for a few days.  That tells me the problem is the Roku.  Is there a fix or should I just return it?  This appears to be a real issue and I haven't seen anything in the community that gives me hope it will be fixed.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@DanielS

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
P-Reno
Level 7

I have a Roku Ultra and just switched to T-mobile Home Internet. The Roku indicates that it is receiving an excellent WiFi signal, but it loses the Internet connection so frequently that it is useless for connecting to Netflix, etc. The Roku shows the Internet connection as poor. T-mobile operates at 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. T-mobile recommended that I set  the Roku to receive only the 2.4Ghz signal. How do you do this? Should this solve the problem? Incidentally, I can stream Netflix, YouTube, etc.  on my other devices - two computers  and two phones - with no problem. My download speed is almost always greater than 100 Mbs.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If you have an Ultra your best bet is to use an Ethernet cable.  If that's not possible then the only way to force your Roku to use one band over the other is to have different SSIDs (network names) for 2.4GHz vs 5GHz.  That would be configured in your router settings and T-mobile should be able to help you with it if they supplied the router.  If they claim it's not possible then you're out of luck (I would get my own router and ditch T-mobile's).

I just watched a video under "Tips and Tricks" that showed a new feature where the Roku will automatically switch from one frequency to the other if it detects a poor connection.  I haven't seen it in operation, so I don't know the details or how well it works.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos