Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruise4445
Level 8

All Roku devices don't recognize 5 ghz since 9.4.0 recent update

It seems as if all of my roku devices have stopped recognizing my 5 ghz connection. It's not a router issue since my phones and pc(s) connect to the 5ghz no problem. This problem absolutely occurred as a direct result of the recent update to 9.4.0 build 4190-50 on Nov 13th . I've tried to reset the roku device(s) with no luck. Is this problem happening to other people? All of the roku's are streaming stick+(s).   Thanks in advance for any help to fix this problem..

9 Replies
Skrauss
Level 7

Re: All Roku devices don't recognize 5 ghz since 9.4.0 recent update

I have the same problem.  All other devices are on 5G except roku and i have tried rescanning

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Do you have your Wi-Fi channel set to "Auto"?  Did it switch to a DFS channel?  Rokus only support 5GHz channels below 50 or above 144.

Bruise4445
Level 8

Thanks for responding.. they have always been set to auto and have not changed,   I just double checked.

0 Kudos
rlmccarty2000
Level 7

Is there an update on this problem?  My older Rokus are fine, but the new Roku Ultra can’t find the faster wifi.  Right now I’m running it on 2.4 but the slower speed can have dropouts.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

"Auto" means the channel can change.  What channel is it currently using?

0 Kudos
galwinged
Level 7

Thank you! I beleive you are correct. I've been rebooting, unplugging, changing settings for a few days now, and no go. I have two devices and my phone doesn't detect either. I'm pretty sure it's the update. I'm gonna change the network settings, hope that solves it, I'm tired of messing with this.

Just to verify, changed networks and it worked as it should. Can't beleive they released the update without notifying the public about the problem. 

0 Kudos
Bruise4445
Level 8

I found the solution for my system... 

I'm using Verizon Fios with the G3100 router.  Both 2.4 and 5.0 are defined as auto and the router  is picking up 2.4 at channel 11 and 5.0 at channel 36. But the roku's only pickup 2.4 NOT 5.0.

However there is another option to consider and that is:

Enable DFS Channels during Channel Scan  If this is set to enable, the Roku's will NOT pickup 5.0.. If you disable it, 5.0 will reappear in your scan list !!  At least that's how it works for me. 

Good luck..

0 Kudos
AjaxOdessa
Level 7

@renojim Do you have any reference to the official information from Roku about supported Wi-Fi channels and why DFS range isn't supported?

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

No.  It's been mentioned here many times, but I think it was something someone just discovered and I can't recall any official statement from Roku, but that's not unusual.  :-)

0 Kudos