Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eddie19
Level 7

Airplay and HomeKit nightmare!

In close to losing my head

i bought a Roku for the ability to screen mirror and use AirPlay with my LG TV. 
When trying to set this up via the QR code, HomeKit just keeps returning this error message: “Accesory not found. Make sure your accesory is powered on and connected to your router with an Ethernet cable, then try again” 

What does this mean? Do they want me to plug the Roku stick into my router? I’m so confused as I can’t even screen mirror with my iPhone, it’s not even listed as a device on Roku. 
Surely they are not asking me to plug the tv into the router to set this up? The tv uses WiFi normally.

Tried all the resetting etc but nada. Looking like I’ll have to send this back... 

any advice guys?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Airplay and HomeKit nightmare!

You didnt mention which Roku model # you have (only 4K-capable devices support it)

You dont need to use the QR code for AirPlay2 - that's for HomeKit - ignore it if all you are trying to do is mirror using AirPlay2.

Your iPhone should show the Roku (not the other way around), either when you select the AP icon in an app or select Screen Mirroring in Control Center, etc.

If your Roku doesnt show up on your iPhone when you cast/mirror, make sure they are both on the same network (same SSID).

Otherwise, try restarting your Roku, wireless router/gateway, and phone.

Make sure you read these articles, and that you meet all the requirements:

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

Eddie19
Level 7

Thanks 

I don’t know how but my wifi has two connections : one named home, one named home2. Now to get this to work I have to connect the Roku to home, and my MacBook to home2. This shouldn’t work, but for some odd reason this is the only way it does. Tbh I’m gonna try it this way with my Firestick tomorrow as if it works with the apps I downloaded previously, I may send this back.

It is cool, but I can’t see how Roku is better than Firestick, except the Airplay...

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

One SSID may be 2.4Ghz, the other may be 5Ghz (you'll need to verify that in your modem/router/gateway's configuration).

All the different platforms/devices have pros/cons.

For issues relating to app carriage/compatibility/availability/functionality (e.g. no official Peacock app for FireTV), along other software (firmware) "bad update" etc issues, I highly recommend a multiplatform (at least 3, one of which is Android/AndroidTV for sideloading) streaming device approach - so I'd keep the Roku for that reason alone.

0 Kudos