Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TDK1044
Level 7

Adding a wi-fi extender

Hi Guys,

Because the location of my Roku stick delivers only a 'Fair' wi-fi signal, I'm about to purchase a Netgear AC750 wi-fi extender. Does anyone know if I'll be able to set this up just with the Roku using wps, or must it be set up via a Laptop first?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
lion7718
Level 8

Re: Adding a wi-fi extender

Yes, you can connect it using WPS to your Network.
I use the N300 & never had any issues.
Remember to connect the extender in the same room as the router first, then move it to the room with the Roku.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
TDK1044
Level 7

Thanks. The install went well. It seems that the Roku 3600 doesn't receive as decent a signal as my Laptop, which is about ten feet away and the same distance from the router. The Laptop gets a good to excellent signal, but without the extender, the Roku stick gets only Fair. The extender gets it to excellent, but with half the download speed, and as I'm still waiting for fiber to arrive in my street (about three months I'm told) I think I'm better off with a fair signal but with a decent download speed. I added an HDMI cable to the Roku stick, but to little effect. I guess it's a game of compromise until the fiber arrives.  Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
srglassw
Level 7

I have my Roku 3 connected through a Netgear AC750 Range Extender. At first, the AC750 was connected to the main router via WiFi and I had the Roku connected to the extender by Ethernet cable. That worked okay but was quite a bit slower than connecting the Roku via WiFi to the main router. I believe that is the "fair signal but decent download speed" scenario you are thinking is the better option.
If you can get an Ethernet cable from the main router to the extender and put the extender in Access Point mode then connect the Roku to the extender via Wifi you may get a significant download speed improvement. As I understand it, this will take all the extender WiFi traffic off the main router's WiFi connection and onto the Ethernet connection.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

I had a Netgear extender that is my brother in law's that he put in for my DirecTV internet connection for close to two years.  Didn't really have much of an issue beyond having to regularly reset the extender, but didn't have any problems beyond that even when my family and I disconnected everything and all of our receivers because we had to evacuate for hurricane Irma. I upgraded our internet speed over the last weekend and got a new modem from our internet provider, but it made the extender incompatible. I had to call my internet provider out and they informed me that they couldn't do anything because it was considered 3rd party equipment, but were nice enough to check for a signal, it had a signal, but was incompatible with the new equipment. They waved what would have been a $50 fee, but told me flat out next time, it's on you.  So, I had DirecTV come out and reconnected their internet adapter directly to the modem and I've been good to go since, but I will suggest avoiding an extender if you can unless your internet provider offers it, because if there is a problem or if you upgrade your connection/change equipment they probably won't touch the extender unless it is their equipment.  

I wasn't happy about all of that, but the gentleman who came out from DirecTV was very nice and cleared up a lot of the gray area that had gone on because he told me it shouldn't have been hooked into an extender and that is what the installer who put our Genie equipment in, did so it cleared up some pixeling with the mini receivers by having it connected directly into the modem.  Obviously, you won't have to connect a Roku device directly into an extender, but keep in mind unless it comes directly from your internet provider, they probably won't be able to do anything if in the event god forbid something goes wrong or changes with your connection. Lessons learned, but a valuable lesson that is going to save me money now.
0 Kudos
TDK1044
Level 7

Great posts, Guys. Thanks. My Roku stick seems to work fine at the 'Fair' setting, so I'll leave it that way and see if the signal improves with the AT&T fiber router that I'll be getting. If the signal doesn't improve, I'll have the option to use the extender at that point, because even if I'm losing more than 50 percent of the download speed from the new router, I'll still have more than enough for my needs.  Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
seangobeil
Level 7

I just purchased and set up a Meco AC 1200 wifi range extender. Works great. HOWEVER, my ROKU refuses to connect to it. My Apple TV connected no problem. Anybody have any suggestions? The ROKU sees it, but when I select it and enter in the password, the Wireless connection will not happen (get the famous red "X"). I have reset everything, rebooted the ROKU several times - all to no avail... Any suggestions?
Sean
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"seangobeil" wrote:
I just purchased and set up a Meco AC 1200 wifi range extender. Works great. HOWEVER, my ROKU refuses to connect to it. My Apple TV connected no problem. Anybody have any suggestions? The ROKU sees it, but when I select it and enter in the password, the Wireless connection will not happen (get the famous red "X"). I have reset everything, rebooted the ROKU several times - all to no avail... Any suggestions?
Sean

What model Roku? 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 7

"seangobeil" wrote:

Log into the extender and review the settings where you should set the DNS explicit instead of automatic.

We are using a couple of extenders to cover ("get to") the RV trailer in the back yard, once we assigned login credentials and DNS everything worked good aka the camp area is covered in wifi for roku, devices, etc.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 7

"TDK1044" wrote:
The extender gets it to excellent, but with half the download speed,

This is normal behaviour for extenders.

If you have a 54 Mbps (G) wifi signal from your main wifi network to your extender, an extended G wifi signal will be half by design next to the extender (Max 27 Mbps).

Extend another time you are at 13.5 Mbps or less near the second extender which still is enough for streaming. Your device may show 54 Mbps next to the second extender when logged into it but you will not get more than 13.5 from internet speed test.
0 Kudos