Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: 9.3 Update loses connection

I bought the Ultra to use ethernet.  Wifi worked fine with 9.2, ethernet did not.  9.3 was a problem with both wifi and ethernet.  My strong preference is to use ethernet, hopefully Roku can apply a fix soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Hello all, original creator of the thread here. Roku OS update 9.3.0 Build 4170 appears to fix the connection issue, been about a week and it seems to be working fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

How do I 'undo' the update-my wifi has been ridiculous for tooooo long-I am quite savvy to tech and have done the 50 or so tests -which took the ENTIRE DAY!!! It ALL works Fine-only ROKU cannot connect and claims my network is barely one bar-THEN the Xfinity 'public hotspot?? Is FULL 5 bars...and I get the message...' Are You at a hotel?'...followed by needing to login to Xfinity-and error code appears-(continue this loop) is Xfinity in bed with Roku-and Both messing with my devices/wifi??....Power outage last week meant NO POWER-...apparently Comcast arrived-HOWEV ER Without any power I did not know they actually arrived...This is insane.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Ok so I have a roku ultra that is only 4 days old. Worked absolutely fine until yesterday it updated to the 9.3. I did the stuff to get to the "secret" menu but mine won't let me force back to 9.2 and I am currently on day 2 with no way of streaming because it wont connect. Any suggestions? If I can't figure out anything I'm just gonna return it and get a new one and not authorize the updates. SMDH roku needs to do better!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

read my post, re-apply 9.3.0 from the secret menu:

@Bcoker40 wrote:

Ok so I have a roku ultra that is only 4 days old. Worked absolutely fine until yesterday it updated to the 9.3. I did the stuff to get to the "secret" menu but mine won't let me force back to 9.2 and I am currently on day 2 with no way of streaming because it wont connect. Any suggestions? If I can't figure out anything I'm just gonna return it and get a new one and not authorize the updates. SMDH roku needs to do better!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Back-read in the thread about how to get to the secret menu. Either rollback to 9.2.0 or re-apply 9.3.0 on to of itself

@ggmissmolly wrote:

How do I 'undo' the update

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Hi Mazz - but you have a wire connection based on your initial post and it looks like those of us that only have Streaming Sticks that only use wifi are having issues with the wifi since the 9.3.0 updates began.

When one of my sticks updated to 9.3.0 build 4170-50 last week I immediately had wifi issues just like with the previous build of 9.3.0.  I left it for a day and nothing improved.  My Roku reported internet connection was always 55-62 but not it was 30-45 and sometimes would drop to 1 or 2 at times.  Also YTTV and YouTube connections were not stable per the "stats for nerds".  I would usually see a very steady 30000-35000 Kbps but after the update that dropped to anywhere from 3000-16000 and very unstable.  During this time my other Roku stick was still on 9.2.0 and performing great.  After I rolled back to 9.2.0 on the stick with the issues it also reverted back to stable wifi connections and streaming.

Definitely an issue still with 9.3.0 and wifi connections at least on Streaming Stick+ based on my experience.  I am ordering an Amazon Fire Stick today as I have wasted too much time and effort on this and it appears Roku cares little about their customers based on my personal experience as well as what I've read on this forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am reporting back that my issues are resolved. Bottom line is I just went out and bought a new Ultra. It even updated last night after 2 weeks with the 9.3 4170-46. Still working so far. No issues. Although I never had internet issues. It just died every day after shutting down and I would have to power cycle it next night to come alive and respond. Didn't respond to any remote controls like it was literally dead. Not sure if the Roku as bad or the power supply bad whatever, all I know its all back to normal. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Glad to hear your Ultra is working on 9.3.0 but please keep in mind the Ultra has a different version (actually the build #) of software than the Streaming Stick+ like I have.  The build # is the # after the dash in the version # so in your case you have version 9.3.0 build 4170-46.  The last update I saw for my stick was 9.3.0 build 4170-50 and the previous one was 9.3.0 build 4132-50 so it appears the Ultra's build #s use the "-46" denomination while the SS+ uses "-50" or at least from what I have seen.

I don't remember but are you using the Ethernet port to connect to your router directly or using a wifi connection?  Many of us are experiencing wifi issues with some of the recent 9.3.0 updates.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

To answer this, I was using LAN but switched to WiFi, cant remember why. But as a NEW update, last night when I fired everything up I got a message that Roku had lost connection UHG...But I hit the "home" screen and for some odd reason it worked. So not sure about that initial notice. Scared me for a minute lol

0 Kudos