Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FatboyJonny
Level 7

5G Connection

Jump to solution

I have a TP-Link router. When I check my Roku Express+ network connection it does not show TP-Link 5G, but I see it on my phone and computer. What is causing ROKU not to pick up the 5G? Spectrum seems to think this is why I am buffering a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 5G Connection

Jump to solution

@andyross wrote:

Not all model support 5GHz WiFi. I believe the Express models are 2.4GHz only.

That is correct.  Express is the cheapest product in the line with the shortest feature list. Roku's product description lists Express as having "802.11bgn single-band wireless" networking.  That single band is the 2.4 GHz band that is available on all modern routers.  To get 5 GHz support you need a model that is dual-band.

It may be possible to improve throughput by changing your router to use a less crowded 2.4 GHz band and thus reduce signal interference.  If you have a cell phone you can download any of several apps to show you the traffic on the various wifi channels.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14\
andyross
Level 16

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@andyross wrote:

That is correct.  Express is the cheapest product in the line with the shortest feature list. Roku's product description lists Express as having "802.11bgn single-band wireless" networking.  That single band is the 2.4 GHz band that is available on all modern routers.  To get 5 GHz support you need a model that is dual-band.

It may be possible to improve throughput by changing your router to use a less crowded 2.4 GHz band and thus reduce signal interference.  If you have a cell phone you can download any of several apps to show you the traffic on the various wifi channels.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
galldoug1
Level 7

Jump to solution

Are you saying that the Roku Stick + does support 5G?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Jump to solution

If it is model 3810, then it is dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz and supports 802.11ac.

Moraflex
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's really deceiving to sell Roku Express and then to find out you can not watch Hulu Live TV because it requires 5G minimum and Roku only sees 2.4G.........  Honesty would have gone a long way here if the product had stated it "Will not connect to 5G wifi"  instead of hiding the fact behind some FCC standard 802.11a

Is there a hack for the Roku Express to see 5G?

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 16

Jump to solution

Where are you seeing that Hulu Live TV requires "5G minimum"? There are only two Wi-Fi bands, so "5GHz minimum" is a strange phrase. 

0 Kudos
Moraflex
Level 7

Jump to solution

Straight from A Hulu reps mouth. My Roku express will not stream live TV according to the rep. Is this incorrect? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Moraflex 

According to Hulu's help page https://help.hulu.com/s/article/speed-recommendations, 8.0 Mbps is needed for live streaming. This is going to be dependent on your internet download speed, not the 2.4ghz or 5 ghz network band you are connected to.  If you have sufficient internet speed (test using a laptop, phone or other device connected to your 2.4ghz band using speedtest.net or the like), and are still experiencing issues like buffering or etc, you can try lowering your video resolution, or you may have to optimize your 2.4 ghz band connection from within your router's admin dashboard. (Try removing any legacy device protocols under your Wireless Settings Mode/Protocol that say a or b. These can slow down an entire network.  You can try using g/n or maybe even n if not already configured.  Then play around with using different channels between 1 and 11. (These have different frequencies and some may be more crowded or experiencing more interference than another).  Finally, switch your channel widths/bandwidths between 20 and 40 mhz.  In most circumstances, 20 mhz should provide better results for networks experiencing problems.

If you feel you need the 5ghz band connection and you like the Express model, you are going to need the new Roku Express 4k/4k+ models. (The new current Roku models are all now dual band - both 2.4 and 5 ghz capable).

For what its worth, if you start with the original link to Hulu Help I posted above and follow their different link options, the Express is listed as a supported device. (not excluded from Live Streaming).  Of course, has not been updated since Oct 2020.  To make sure both your Hulu and Roku are up to date, navigate to Roku Settings...System...System Update...Check Now. (This will update both the Roku and all installed Channels).

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/supported-roku

Feel free to post back with any updates or if you need more help.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
Moraflex
Level 7

Jump to solution

At 2G my speed is 76.5 Mbps which is 9.5625 MBps While my 5G is 230Mbps or 28.75MBps...That said, according to your report, 2G should function (8 MBps is needed for live streaming), albeit just barely with buffering.   Therefore since it was a Hulu rep who told me to purchase the Roku Express, he was incorrect and should have said "buy the Roku Express 4k". So I revert back to the original post...The propaganda should have stated "no live streaming on this device" on the box or website propaganda so I would not have wasted the money buying a inadequate device.

0 Kudos