Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

5G Connection

Jump to solution

I have a TP-Link router. When I check my Roku Express+ network connection it does not show TP-Link 5G, but I see it on my phone and computer. What is causing ROKU not to pick up the 5G? Spectrum seems to think this is why I am buffering a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: 5G Connection

Jump to solution

@andyross wrote:

Not all model support 5GHz WiFi. I believe the Express models are 2.4GHz only.

That is correct.  Express is the cheapest product in the line with the shortest feature list. Roku's product description lists Express as having "802.11bgn single-band wireless" networking.  That single band is the 2.4 GHz band that is available on all modern routers.  To get 5 GHz support you need a model that is dual-band.

It may be possible to improve throughput by changing your router to use a less crowded 2.4 GHz band and thus reduce signal interference.  If you have a cell phone you can download any of several apps to show you the traffic on the various wifi channels.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@andyross wrote:

That is correct.  Express is the cheapest product in the line with the shortest feature list. Roku's product description lists Express as having "802.11bgn single-band wireless" networking.  That single band is the 2.4 GHz band that is available on all modern routers.  To get 5 GHz support you need a model that is dual-band.

It may be possible to improve throughput by changing your router to use a less crowded 2.4 GHz band and thus reduce signal interference.  If you have a cell phone you can download any of several apps to show you the traffic on the various wifi channels.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos