Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EricWD
Level 8

Re: 5-month-old Premiere losing wifi connection

Jump to solution

To clarify, I live in the country at least 500' from any neighbor. No wifi interference from them. No OTA TV reception and minimal mobile phone reception in the area. So there aren't many external factors to consider. G3100 gladly accepts any channel.

As a test, I moved my Roku Ultra (usually connected via ethernet) to the TV that has the Premiere, and connected it to the 2.4GHz network. Comparison below. I included temperature as it seems very high for a device that's not actively streaming anything.

Premiere:

Strength: 13
Antenna 1: 5
Antenna 2: 0
Glitch rate: 98

Channel: 11 RSSI: -98 dBm noise: -107 dBm SNR: 13 dB
Joins: 5 tries: 5 reconn: 0 aps: 1 sec: WPA2
TX: frames: 26195 retries 0 rate: 1-Mbps PER: 0.00%
RX: frames: 87874 drops: 0 rate: MCS1 GPF: 0.79 util: 0
Driver: v5.7.3_… reg: 0x43 wake: 1
Error: 0(0) prior: (0)

Temperature 83 C

Utra:

Strength: 32
Antenna 1: 43
Antenna 2: 45
Glitch rate: 0

Channel: 11 RSSI: -50 dBm noise: -87 dBm SNR: 32 dB
Joins: 1 tries: 1 reconn: 0 aps: 9 sec: WPA2
TX: frames: 2046 retries 42 rate: MCS15 PER: 2.05%
RX: frames: 3806 drops: 0 rate: MCS15 GPF: 0.03 util: 4
Driver: v5.7.3_… reg: 0x43 wake: 1
Error: 0(0) prior: (0)
P2P: channel: 11 tx: 787 rx: 787 glitch:  cca: 123
P2P-1: ant1: -50 ant2: -37 snr: 1 anr2: 10 rate: 24-Mbps

Temperature 46 C

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 12

Jump to solution

We have very similar similar setups in both location (rural) and devices.  Just tested mine so you have some reference points.  

Ultra is set up ethernet right near my routers. (behind the Den TV)  The Premiere is in an upstairs bedroom.  (25Mbps Broadband Connection, TP-Link and Netgear Routers)

Everything Set to the same 2.4gz network SSID to test...(TP-Link router)

Premiere (bed)  Signal Strength 30, Antenna 44, temp 79 (amber)

Premiere (den)  Signal Strength 59, Antenna 67, temp 82  (amber)

Ultra (bed) Signal Strength 41, Antenna 44, temp 66 (green)

Ultra (den) Signal Strength 70, Antenna 80, temp 68 (green)

As you can see, the Ultra definitely runs cooler (larger unit w/more metal inside unit for heat dissipation) and better radio range than the Premiere.  If I added a longer HDMI to the Premier I could probably get it to run cooler(right now laying on bottom base of TV).  See what your readings are for the Premiere at the Ultra location or closer to the router.  If you are still getting bad readings, most likely Premiere unit itself.  If you get significant improvements, means the Premiere is probably working fine.  May have to get a more powerful Roku device like the Ultra or add an access point(extender) to your network if you want to still use the Premiere where you had it setup.

The interference we were speaking of before can come from any electrical device in the home.  Even microwaves, cordless phones, smart and non-smart appliances.  They all emit frequencies and these frequencies can often affect  the shared radio frequencies of the 2.4gz network.  They don't even have to be "connected" to a network to cause interference  Similar to why some cordless phones used to allow you to change the channel frequency if you had static on your line.  In dense populated areas, wifi usually suffers in evening because everyone jumps on the internet same time and start cooking dinner.  All the frequencies just start jamming against each other on a the heavily used channels.  Sometime you can increase the interference by just putting your cellphone on top of a device.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

Could very well be related to your Premiere updating its firmware recently (and the associated driver).

Additionally, the Premiere also has a different WiFi chipset than the Ultra (and if its the 4800, a different driver too), so even with the same driver there could/will be different behavior.

You can try reverting the firmware: Home5x/FF3x/RW2x/Update software/update now (only if it shows an earlier version/build), and checking again.

If that doesnt work, you can try narrowing down the scope to know whether its a Roku hardware failure vs. Roku firmware/driver issue vs. network configuration issue is to obtain another Premiere - if you get the same behavior out of it, at the very least you know it isnt a Roku hardware failure:  leaving firmware/driver vs net config.

0 Kudos
EricWD
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you both for your assistance.

I tried rolling back the firmware update but there was no older version to roll back to. I reinstalled the firmware just in case. No change.

I set up another wifi base station in another room and hooked the Premiere about 1' away. Then I finally got a good signal. But once I moved it back to its original location, the Premiere was no longer able to see the base station, although my phone showed it at -69dBm.

Interestingly, when I got a good signal, I noticed it was only coming through Antenna 1, no matter how I oriented the device. Looking at screenshots of previous tests, I saw that Antenna 2 was always at 0 on the Premiere while it was balanced on the Ultra. Does the Premiere only have 1 antenna, or is 1 defective?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

@EricWD wrote:

Thank you both for your assistance.

I tried rolling back the firmware update but there was no older version to roll back to. I reinstalled the firmware just in case. No change.

I set up another wifi base station in another room and hooked the Premiere about 1' away. Then I finally got a good signal. But once I moved it back to its original location, the Premiere was no longer able to see the base station, although my phone showed it at -69dBm.

Interestingly, when I got a good signal, I noticed it was only coming through Antenna 1, no matter how I oriented the device. Looking at screenshots of previous tests, I saw that Antenna 2 was always at 0 on the Premiere while it was balanced on the Ultra. Does the Premiere only have 1 antenna, or is 1 defective?

Just one - the dual band models have two.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 12

Jump to solution

As @StreamerUser indicated, the Premieres only have one antenna.

In that Wireless Screen, Antenna 1 is for 2.4gz antenna readings.  Antenna 2 is for the 5gz band readings.  

Good to see you are making progress and seems like Premiere is at least capable of working if you can get that access point to broadcast strongly to it.  How far away are you talking?  Is it possible to use the access point in the same room as the Premiere and still have your other devices connect to it, or at least midway (more central) between the two areas needing the access point?

0 Kudos
EricWD
Level 8

Jump to solution

I can't move the router as it's at the heart of my ethernet network, and I can not easily move the access point to a closer location.

The Premiere is about 20' away from the main router, in the room above. Signal travels at 45° through one floor. Nothing particularly obstructive.

I located some 2019 Ultra on sale nearby and may go that way. It's dual band and, in worst case scenario, I can run an ethernet cable to it. It's cheaper and simpler than setting up another access point.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 12

Jump to solution

Agreed.  I think you have exhausted all reasonable troubleshooting options.  Seems like the Premiere's radio receiver and/or wifi chip is the likely culprit.  If it is only 5months old and worked before in that location, you should be able to replace under warranty. https://support.roku.com/article/208757058 (one-year warranty).

Your router has been optimized and is broadcasting, another Roku device(ultra) works in that same location on the 2.4gz band, and your phone app is showing a good wireless signal being broadcast to that location.

So, I would replace Premiere under warranty and if budget allows, purchase an Ultra.  I think the Ultra gives the best bang for the money.  Not only will it run cooler, but allows you to use either the 2.4gz or 5gz bands of your network.  Won't have to strain as much to acquire signal and stream your content.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
EricWD
Level 8

Jump to solution

Quick update.

The Ultra runs smoothly up there, connected to the 5GHz network.

I just received the replacement Premiere and tested it in the same location. It connects with no problem to the 2.4 GHz network (Strength: 35, Antenna 1: 49, Channel 11 signal: -52 dBm). So that confirms the problem was with the old unit.

It also confirms that those units run hot. After about 10 minutes (time to configure network, install latest software and do basic setup), it was already at 56C, without having streamed anything.

renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

It will be interesting to see if once that new Premiere cooks a little whether its Wi-Fi reception deteriorates.  I have a Premiere that runs hot and gets terrible reception.  I never noticed if it was always that way since it was always within a few feet of the router.  It was only once I moved it to another room that I noticed how bad it was.  It would barely work with a Wi-Fi direct remote.

Keep an eye on the temperature and signal strength numbers to see how they change over time.