Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheenie34
Level 7

3 roku devices and none connect to wifi

This morning I woke up and none of our roku devices will connect to wifi. I’ve restarted them and restarted the router. Signal strength is perfect and all other devices will connect to wifi. Just not the Rokus. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3 roku devices and none connect to wifi

What devices? Include model numbers. Settings > System > About

Do you know on which channel your WiFi is broadcasting? Some Roku models are 2.4 GHz only, and should work best on 1, 6, & 11 which are the standard channels for that band.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

The sudden loss of connection for all three really points the finger at your wireless connection. Do the Roku players even see your wireless, and just won't connect, or do they not see the wireless at all? The latter indicates your wireless router has changed its radio channel to one unsupported by Roku. As @DBDukes mentioned, on 2.4 GHz it has to be channel 11 or below, preferably 1, 6 or 11. If your router changed to channels 12, 13, or 14, your other devices might still see and connect, but your Roku players won't even see it.

Also, if your router is controlled by your ISP (very common with cable companies) there are reports that many have turned the 2.4 GHz radio completely off, and only leaving the 5 GHz radio active. If your Roku devices don't support 5 GHz, then they naturally can't connect either. And even if your Rokus do support 5 GHz, there are again some channels that Roku devices will not see. These are labeled DFS channels, and are the channels between 49 and 148. So, for 5 GHz the channel must be below 49 or above 148. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jbex82
Level 7

I just had the same problem. 2 went down yesterday and the 3rd one today. All 3 see my internet connection but won’t connect to it. All other devices in my home are connected and working fine. I really don’t want to have to go buy new hardware. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Jbex82 wrote:

I just had the same problem. 

And we have the same question: what are the model numbers of your Roku devices? 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jbex82
Level 7

I can only check one right now the others are not connected. 
model number 3930X-Roku Express

software version 9.4.0 build 4210-AE

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Jbex82 wrote:

I can only check one right now the others are not connected. 
model number 3930X-Roku Express

software version 9.4.0 build 4210-AE

When you say "not connected" do you mean to a TV? Or do you mean to your network? You should always be able to navigate the menu and get the info, unless of course the device isn't connected to a TV.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jbex82
Level 7

Not connected to a tv. They should be the same model I got all 3 at the same time. 

0 Kudos