Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
williemyers
Level 7

2019 ROKU Ultra "dead"?

hi everyone, my first time here.

last year, I gifted my (90+) father a 2019 ROKU Ultra. It's a model # 4660X2. it worked like a charm for the first year, then this week - - his LG SmartTV can no longer "see" it. i.e., the LG reports there is no device on HDMI #1

So I started troubleshooting by inspecting the ROKU and found that, on the "plus" side, the ROKU's power light is steadily "on".....but on the negative side, it's steadily on *ALL* the time! meaning that it cannot be shut off by use of power button on the Remote - - it just stays steadily on. Only pulling the power cord will turn it off.

I've tried multiple "factory" resets, using the Reset button on the bottom of the unit; (a.) the "hold for 10 sec. till a blinking Power light" but no blinking Power light, (b.) teh "disconnect all cables except the power cable, then hold Reset for 15 sec., remove & replace teh power cable, continue to hold Reset till a blinking power light", ....but no blinking power light.

Also, I'm connecting the unit to my Arris/ATT modem/router by ethernet cable. I've checked all ports on the modem/router - all o.k. and I've checked all ethernet cables - again, all o.k. But what's odd is that when one of the modem/router's ethernet ports is connected to working device, a tiny green LED will alight next to that particular port. But no matter which port I plug the ROKU in to, no green light.

So honestly, give the above, it really feels like the unit itself is not functioning - - and cannot be reset. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 2019 ROKU Ultra "dead"?

First, Rokus like that one are always on.   The only time the light goes out is when the screensaver is active.  Does the light flash when you press a button on the remote?  Can you try it on another TV?  There should be a green light on the top of the Ethernet connector that lights when you connect a cable and a yellow light that flashes with activity.

To ensure a proper factory reset hold in the reset button for no less than 30 seconds.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
williemyers
Level 7

thanks renojim, I'll do the 30+ sec. reset. btw doing a bit more research on this unit, it looks like it's a 2017...not a 2019?

0 Kudos
williemyers
Level 7

went back and tried both recommended "resets" @ 45 sec.+ and neither yielded a "blinking" power light.

also perhaps worth noting, the LG TV is showing no "ROKU" app(s) or ROKU control panels? I'll try this unit tomorrow on another LG Smart TV

0 Kudos
williemyers
Level 7

o.k., no luck at all trying this unit with another TV set (another LG SmartTV) . connected the ROKU Ultra to HDMI #1 on the LG and went to teh LG's Input screen, but none of the HDMI connections showed an incoming signal. Held the ROKU's "RESET" for 45+ sec., but no blinking light on the ROKU and no change on the LG's Input screen.
At this point, am getting really frustrated and really begining to wonder if this ROKU Ultra unit is not really dead? i.e., not outputting any detectable signal? But I really don't know how to do a definitive test on it (before trashing it)?
Is there any way for me to reach the company?

0 Kudos