Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

2018 Roku Ultra vs 2019 Roku Ultra WiFi

I currently have the 2018 version of the Ultra. I am wondering the difference between it and the newer 2019 version. Specifically I am interested in wireless. What are the wireless specs of the 2018 vs the 2019. I would like to stream full uncompressed rips of my 4k movies. I have a WiFi 6 router, and a movie server capable of the transfer speed necessary however my current Roku does not have the wireless performance necessary. I'm hoping the new Ultra does   

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: 2018 Roku Ultra vs 2019 Roku Ultra WiFi

Have you found out anything on this issue.  I am considering upgrading to Wifi 6 (the Orbi mesh system) but it is extreme expensive and I do not want to do it unless it can handle the exact issue you are talking about.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I did find out that none of the currently available Roku devices are supporting the new WiFi6/802.11ax standards. On top of that none of them have Gig Ethernet ports either. You will not be streaming uncompressed 4K on a Roku device in the near future. I have to transcode my 4K movies in order to watch them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you so much, that is very helpful

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

There have been some users that have reported sufficient wireless speed using 802.11ac 5 GHz to stream uncompressed UHD videos, but I personally haven't had that success. I can't seem to get anything faster than about 70 Mbps, even with a brand new .11ac router and the media server hardwire connected to the router with Gigabit Ethernet. I cannot stream my UHD rips on any Roku player. I now have two Nvidia Shield players, which have Gigabit Ethernet, and they also support the lossless audio. Roku does't support that either.

But for the rooms without a 4K TV the Roku player is still my go-to player. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos