Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

2 Wired Ultra 4640X, 4670X questions

It seems that when I go to HOME on 1 Ultra, shut down the AVR and TV then go to the 2nd room, start the AVR and TV  I'm presented with the Roku 'screen saver' even though the Ultra in that room is still inactive. Both Ultra are wired, AVR are same brands. Should a person  wait out the 'shut down' of Ultra #1 before cranking up Ultra #2 in the 2nd environment?

1st occurrence I just removed power from Ultra #1.  I saw no similar references in other threads.

How do I properly approach the issue?

-Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: 2 Wired Ultra 4640X, 4670X questions

I'm confused what you are expecting to happen here.  They are two different devices.  If you haven't used either one for a while it will be in screen saver.  You certainly don't need to "shut down" one in order to use the other.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@twiceover wrote:

I'm confused what you are expecting to happen here.  They are two different devices.  If you haven't used either one for a while it will be in screen saver.  You certainly don't need to "shut down" one in order to use the other.

I was confused also when it happened. You're comment hints then that even 'powered down' the Roku connected to the 2nd AVR will display 'screen saver'? When I went back to room #1 the Ultra 'power light' was still lit after several minutes (long after I would have expected) power down. 

That's why I'm here!!! I was confused!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

So...  What are you expecting to happen?  They are two separate units are you expecting to see the display from one on the other?  Or is it that you simply expect the roku to "turn off" on its own at some point?

A Roku is always on, there is no "off" other than unplugging it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yesterday was the 1st day with both and I assumed that 'possibly' so long as the LED is lit on the Ultra face it could remain maybe 'live' on network consuming data. I'll look further into the operation later today. That was an event that happened maybe 2AM and it seemed easy enough to just 'unplug'. So regardless Roku 'active' state the 'aquarium screen-saver' will display! JUST IGNORE?

I would have guessed the LED was still 'lit' @ 6 - 8 minutes!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Yes.  There is no "Off".  If you just send it to the home screen, that will use minimal data as it cycles ads.  I'm unsure if any data (outside of checking for updates) happens when the screensaver is running.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had no idea that the 'default' time was set to 10 minutes out of box for 'sleep' or 'screensaver' - call it what you like. I believe I've sorted what I needed to. Correct there's no 'OFF' but I'd think it essentially 'nearly stops' the data stream when LED on face shuts down and 'screensaver' turns on.

Thanks!

0 Kudos