Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MommaKC
Level 8

2 Roku Premiere streaming players only connect to wifi after factory reset.

A few days ago our internet provider sent us a new modem because our old one was going bad.  We connected it and it started working perfectly.  The computers and kindle connected right up.  The Roku tv connected perfectly.  However, the 2 Roku Premiere players wouldn't connect.  I did some research and tried the enable ping thing with no luck.  I finally did a factory reset and both connected to the internet right away.  However, when they are turned off for the night they refuse to connect the next time they are turned on again.  I have to factory reset them again to get the internet to work again.

It's just those 2.  Everything else is working fine.  What could this be and what can I do to fix it?  I got them from Amazon but it was to long ago to return them and I like them.  I just don't like having to go through that whole factory reset thing every night to watch tv.    ETA:  We've had the 1st one since the end of last year and the other one has been about 3-4 months.  Both have worked perfectly on the old modem except when the old modem would drop our wifi.  This is the 1st problem with either of them but it's both of them doing the same thing.

8 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: 2 Roku Premiere streaming players only connect to wifi after factory reset.

Have you tried just restarting rather than factory resetting?  If that does it for you, your channel settings should be retained so you don't have to set them all up again.
Settings > System > System restart

I've found that when I've encountered wifi problems with my Rokus I've normally been able to solve them by restarting the router. After the router comes back up, restart the Roku (as described above) to start with a clean slate and try to reconnect.

This makes no sense to me and I don't understand why it would work, especially since other wifi devices in the house connect well, but it has worked for me.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
MommaKC
Level 8

Thank you.  Yes, I have tried the restart feature to no avail.  I have even unplugged the one with no success.  They both will see the internet but refuse to connect to it.  Once factory reset they connect with no issues at all.  Then once turned off they will no longer connect again until factory reset.  Everything else is connecting fine including the Roku tv I have.  It's just the 2 streaming devices that are refusing to stay connected.  I'll try restarting the modem too.  I've been through every option I could figure out to see what's wrong but nothing yet.  When I get back Friday I'll try calling the internet provider then I'll call Roku.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Another thing that sometimes helps with wifi problems on the Roku is Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network reset. This will clear out all network settings and let you enter them from scratch.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Jaenus
Level 8

Yes!!!!  This is my issue too. 

Roku broke something with their 9.3 update. 

ROLL IT BACK, ROKU!!!

0 Kudos
MommaKC
Level 8

The only thing that worked for me was to plug the roku streaming devices directly into a plug themselves so they had a direct current and wouldn't shut off when I turned the TV off.   

Until recently that is.   I accidentally knocked my bedroom tv one's plug out of the wall and it shut off.   I got it back on and prepared to do another factory reset again but it reconnected to the internet no problem.   I unplugged it again and hooked it up to the TV so it would shut off with the TV again and haven't had a problem since.  I'm guessing that they did another update and got it fixed or maybe it just fixed itself. 

We gave up on restarting the modem.   It never worked although I did try to use the Roku secret menu and turn off something but it was so long ago i can't remember what it was. Maybe that helped.   It didn't at the time but who knows. 

0 Kudos
jfruge
Level 7

mine is doing this too and it’s getting really frustrating, i don’t wanna factory reset every day to watch tv ): 

0 Kudos
MommaKC
Level 8

If you have a spare (or maybe you can get one at Walmart?) charger for a cell phone that's what I used to plug it directly into the outlet.  Once it wasn't shutting off with the TV it stayed connected to the internet.  Only when the plug was accidentally unplugged did I have to factory reset it again.   Until recently when it just magically started working properly.  My daughter's roku tv isn't working without doing a reset and I haven't tried the other one yet. 

0 Kudos
Jaenus
Level 8

Seems to be the router.  Because my last one never had this issue.  They need to figure this out. 

0 Kudos