Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

1 roku not recognizing password, 1 other roku connecting successfully

Interesting problem. I have 2 roku's that are behaving differently - an Roku express is not able to connect to a particular wifi, but a streaming stick able to connect, both are 9.20 build 4806-50.

The Express 3900EU is not able to connect with security enabled - it gives error 014.40 (password incorrect). Streaming Stick 3810EU is able to connect successfully with security enabled. The express is able to connect with no security - but I would like to enable security for obvious reasons. The Express does connect successfully to other wifi's with security enabled. 

The wifi is broadcasting on 2.4, I've performed a factory reset on the Roku, restarted the wifi, changed channels on the wifi several times and changed passwords several times (the Streaming Stick has connected successfully every time I've made a change).

Any ideas of other things I can change on the wifi?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: 1 roku not recognizing password, 1 other roku connecting successfully

@simonmin  Thanks for reaching out here. A few more questions to help better understand the issue you're running into: 

- What is the make and model of wireless router that you are experiencing this issue on?

- Do you know what wireless channel is it currently broadcasting on? Have you tried changing the wireless channel to see if a different channel resolve the issue on the second device? 

- Does your network name or password have any special characters, capital letters, etc.?

- Have you tried rebooting the wireless router, and ensuring that no wireless security settings are enabled that may be preventing another device from connecting, such as MAC address filtering? 

With more details, we can continue taking a closer look to see what else we can suggest. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Tanner, thanks for responding.

I've tried every 2.4MHz channel from 1-11.

Password has no special characters, I've tried changing the passwords to very simple ones. This doesn't work. My other roku (Streaming Stick) has worked every time I've made a password change or channel change. As mentioned above, the Roku Express will connect with security disabled.

The wifi is a MacBookPro sharing its internet connection. I've tried restarting and cannot see anything in the configuration that might be causing an issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@simonmin Thanks for the details. It sounds like a wireless security protocol issue, related to your use of trying to share the wireless connection from your notebook vs. connect directly. It's possible that this type of functionality on your OSX machine isn't supported, or doesn't utilize the same standard security protocols that a standard 2.4GHz wireless b/g/n router would.

- Are you able to launch a hotspot on an iOS or Android device and connect directly to that?

- Have you tried changing the wireless security protocol for authentication to see if this resolves the issue, such as using WPA, WPA-2 Personal, etc.? 

I would recommend trying to connect directly to the network that your notebook is using to see if that resolves the issue. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd recommend contacting Apple support to see what advice or support they may be able to offer. 

Please do keep us posted with what you discover. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks. Yes I am able to launch a hotspot on iOS and connect directly to that. I'll check more on the wireless security protocol.

The strange part is that my Roku streaming stick works perfectly on the MacBookPro shared wifi so there must be a difference between the streaming stick and Express, which I didn't know whether someone had seen this before or had any suggestions.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@simonmin Thanks for clarifying. The Roku Streaming Stick+ supports both 5GHz AC and 2.4GHz wireless networks, whereas the Roku Express supports only 2.4GHz wireless B/G/N networks. It could relate to some protocol in use that is only supported by our dual band devices.

How are you enabling this wireless network from your MacBook Pro? What specific settings are you using when you enable the shared wireless connection? Could you share a screenshot of the configuration screen? We might able to provide further insight with more specific details. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos