Lights & power

Add Roku lights and smart plugs to your smart home. Learn how it works with virtual assistants, get troubleshooting tips, and find resources from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RealGriz
Channel Surfer

Re: Smart rule for plug not working

@RokuDanny-R

Ok- I have a theory and three logs for you. See log files 7217 and 7219 for indoor plugs and 7220 for Outside plug. All three stopped following the schedule that they had been following. This occurred last night.

All three plugs are being used with Christmas lights and all three are setup to turn on at dusk and turn off at a set time (11 PM for Log 7217, and 11:30 PM for logs 7219 and 7220). I was not home last night, which means that my phone with the Roku App was not home at dusk. I noticed that the lights did not come on when I checked on our dogs using the Roku Camera we have setup. So I manually turned all three on from the restaurant we were in

Here is my theory:

1. My phone with the Roku App was not at home. Do the plugs require the APP running on the network to follow the schedule setup in the app? 

2. I turned the plugs on manually from the restaurant we were in and they never turned off- does manually enabling a plug disable the schedule even if you turn on the plug in the middle of the time the schedule is valid for- in other words I turned these plugs on at around 7 PM and none turned off at their scheduled time.

3 Do the plugs have the ability to check for "is schedule in effect?" when the phone that has the app on it is not present?

I know the schedules are setup properly as they had worked for a week prior to last night. I cannot recall if the other time they failed I was home at Dusk or not.

0 Kudos
RealGriz
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R

Last night phone was at home and all 3 plugs worked as scheduled.

0 Kudos
GhostGlitch
Channel Surfer

That makes no sense. When you can make a rule for when you leave and return home. This is a cloud based service, by definition, it should work completely remotely within the cloud servers. The only thing that the app should do is report location information. Clearly the app is sending on/off commands itself then, based on rules. If that's the case, why even be based on a cloud server. In my opinion, this service needs a complete overhaul. The features are completely useless the way they stand. Or they could work on opening up to better integration solutions. Simple voice control doesn't cut it.

0 Kudos
RealGriz
Channel Surfer

I don't know if this is the cause or not. I am only reporting what I have experienced. I will work with the Roku engineers to see what is happening and report back. Tonight's test is me taking my phone off network via airplane mode and seeing if the lights power on at Dusk. They did turn on at Dusk with my phone in airplane mode. Maybe I did not switch airplane mode on soon enough as I did so 2 minutes before dusk. Will try to do this again tomorrow and have phone off for longer before dusk.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RealGriz

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to investigate the issue further, but will need more details.

Could you possibly provide us with screenshots of how you are setting up your rules on your Roku Smart Home devices?

Once we have more information, we will be able to investigate what you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
RealGriz
Channel Surfer

Sent via email screenshots of the schedules for all three plugs. Added below- could not do so on phone, but can on my laptop.

Outdoor Plug 1Outdoor Plug 1Indoor Plug 2Indoor Plug 2Indoor Plug 1Indoor Plug 1

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RealGriz

Thanks for the follow up and providing screenshots as we have requested.

I have passed along the information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

In the meantime, is this only occurring when using sunrise/sunset on as a rule or does this also occur when setting a specific time for on/off when using a rule?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sshep2158
Reel Rookie

I am having all kinds of problems with the indoor smart plugs too! Neither wanted to set up a schedule and for a while I had to use the timer mode. Actually got a response from from a tech who stated to set the start time first and then once the light turns on, set the off time. It worked!!! Went forward to set up the other plugs we bought, (I was also told to sign off and then sign back on the app, which I did) and not one plug would even pair with the app. I changed to another plug that actually got me to connecting and then no connection. 
We have both Android and Apple phones and are experiencing the same problems so this is not a phone issue, but an issue with the app itself. Perhaps instead of rushing a product out when it clearly is not ready, perhaps understanding that problems are existing and continue to do so, fix the app. Until then I will be moving in to something that works

nevertheless
Reel Rookie

Thanks, I'll give that a try (set start time, wait till light comes on, set end time).

I've just settled for turning them on at dusk, turning them on at bedtime. That does work, until the app stops working, and then I have to log out and log back in, very irritating.

0 Kudos
jonbrang
Channel Surfer

I have noticed that the smart rules do not work at all. I have 2 indoor cameras, the pan and tilt, and the doorbell and when i set any kind of rule, it is ignored. If i set a trigger, the trigger works... but rules re just ignored.

0 Kudos