Lights & power

Add Roku lights and smart plugs to your smart home. Learn how it works with virtual assistants, get troubleshooting tips, and find resources from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahesse

A really Smart Home, motion sensors compatible with Roku?

Are there smart sensors compatible with Roku? Last weekend, we were spitballing with friends what convenience we'd hope for from a truly "smart home". While watching fun on a Roku TV, we bring food out to the living room, both hands full. If there was a motion sensor in the kitchen, it would turn the lights of there. Somebody goes back in, to refill the drinks, the light should go back on. Likewise, the kids leave the lights on in their rooms, while they got stuck watching TV and forgot, or they ran out. Motion sensors or door sensors would take care of those "dumb light situations".
There a motion-sensing lights out there, but has anyone make them work with the Rooku system? It's a true untapped opportunity for Roku. We'd buy it in a heartbeat.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: A really Smart Home, motion sensors compatible with Roku?

@ahesse 

The easiest way for this is just a motion sensor switch (replaces your existing light switch).   Both Leviton and Lutron (manufacturers) make them.  Even have wifi (smart) switches that allow you to add companion switches without wiring. (this would require the free app usage.)

Both the above will work with and without smart bulbs (Roku light bulbs).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
swirsguy
Streaming Star

Re: A really Smart Home, motion sensors compatible with Roku?

You could use the Rules in the app to have motion in a camera trigger the lights, but that is just a work around. I am hopeful that they will release some motion sensors in the next batch of smart home products.

0 Kudos

How do you change the battery in a roku motion sensor?

How do you open and change the battery in the roku motion sensor in the security system?  The pull tab broke so I need to get into the motion sensor.

0 Kudos