Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

what Roku to buy?

How do I know what Roku stick to get for my 2013 Sharp television?  All I know it that it should be a 2016 model or newer.  Yes I am the most technically challenged person around.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: what Roku to buy?

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you are looking for a resource to figure out what Roku device is best for your current needs, we would recommend visiting our Support page here: Compare Roku® streaming devices.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: what Roku to buy?

@keyster wrote:

How do I know what Roku stick to get for my 2013 Sharp television?  All I know it that it should be a 2016 model or newer.  Yes I am the most technically challenged person around.

I don't think you'll have any problem with a TV that new, but just to be sure look up the specs on your specific model and ensure it accepts a 1080p signal over HDMI. Some early sets only supported 1080i, which no current Roku supports. If it doesn't support 1080p, then see if 720p is supported. If you have one of those supported over HDMI (sometimes the specs might just say via a digital connection), then you'll be fine for any available Roku player. But if neither resolution is supported, then you likely can't find any streaming player to work with it.

But as I said, something as new as 2013 is likely going to be fine. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos