Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

trouble setting up a second Roku 3 via ethernet

I am trying to set up a second ROKU 3. My first works great. I connected the second with an ethernet connection on my Netgear router and have it connected to an HDMI connection on my TV. I get the ROKU logo slowly moving around my TV screen but nothing I do on the remote has any effect. I have tried changing the batteries to no avail. Is there something I need to do to get an ethernet connection? My router light for ethernet 1 is on.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: trouble setting up a second Roku 3 via ethernet

@lenkiewiczja wrote:

I am trying to set up a second ROKU 3. My first works great. I connected the second with an Ethernet connection on my Netgear router and have it connected to an HDMI connection on my TV. I get the ROKU logo slowly moving around my TV screen but nothing I do on the remote has any effect. I have tried changing the batteries to no avail. Is there something I need to do to get an Ethernet connection? My router light for Ethernet 1 is on.

That sounds more like a remote issue, if nothing is happening when you press remote buttons. Of course, the Roku player itself might have a problem with its remote receiver. Your remote is WiFi Direct, so it needs to be paired to your Roku. Open the battery cover and there should be a small button near the bottom of the remote. Hold that button until the light comes on (I think they all have a light) and see if it connects to your player. 

Since you're connected via Ethernet, you could try using an app on a phone or tablet. Roku has an Android and an iOS app, and it can connect to any Roku connected to the same network. So the phone/tablet has to be WiFi connected to the same network as the Roku. 

If you try the phone app, connect successfully to the Roku, but nothing still happens on the screen, then your Roku 3 probably has a problem. It's not considered a legacy product, but it's still almost a 5 year old design. It's still a great player if it's working. But that's the question.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos