Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam3
Level 7

thumb drive

Hi I have the Ultra 4670X V9.2.0 build 4803-46

I put in a 64gb thumb drive

I wanted to know how do I format it, I looked in the setting and cannot find anything to do with thumb drive?

Thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
8 Replies
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: thumb drive

The USB port is strictly for viewing/listening to your media:

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-to-use-roku-media-player-to-play-your-videos-music-an...

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sam3
Level 7

I read that when using the thumb drive it acts like a DVR, so you can pause and rewind?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

I don't think the regular standalone Roku's offer a DVR-style feature. Maybe it's something with some Roku TV's?

0 Kudos
renojim

Yes, that's a RokuTV thing and it's not so much a DVR as it gives you the ability to pause/rewind live OTA TV.  I believe it's a 30 minute buffer no matter how large the flash drive is.

-JT

0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

@renojim wrote:

Yes, that's a RokuTV thing and it's not so much a DVR as it gives you the ability to pause/rewind live OTA TV.  I believe it's a 30 minute buffer no matter how large the flash drive is.

-JT

HI. Three (3) TCL Roku TV's here. You get a 90-minute buffer of Live OTA channels with a 16GB thumb drive in the USB port. When you set up LIVE TV PAUSE on your Roku TV it goes through the process of formatting the thumb drive. A larger size drive than 16GB will not get you more capacity. 90 minutes is it. Very useful for a quick pause of Live TV or to use with sporting events for replays and a 90 minute rewind and catch-up if you had to walk away from live event for some reason.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
renojim

Thanks for the correction!  As I wrote that I thought, "30 minutes sounds too short".  :-)

0 Kudos
anneigreer
Level 7

The first time I tried using the USB drive to pause my tv, it did so for 45 minutes.  However, the second time I tried it did not do so.  How do I erase the thumb drive so that the pause function will be enabled?

0 Kudos
renojim

Put it into a computer and reformat it and then when you put it back in your TV it will offer to format it again.

0 Kudos