Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

streaming stick won't activate

I have a roku streaming stick 3500. I have gone thru activation a number of times. It shows as activated on my account. After I activate it, it runs thru the "channel update" routine then the boot up letters appear again and it asks for my e-mail again a never ending loop. I have reset the stick; I have deleted the stick from my account and gone thru the entire process again, etc. What can I do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: streaming stick won't activate

I am having the same problem.  Makes me want to throw the **bleep** thing away.  And I notice that there is no answer for this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@gary5 @Amanda808 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to get past the software update and setup your device. Once your device has been setup, trying switching back to your wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks Danny,

I tried both of your recommendations, no change. I hooked the Roku to another newer TV and it works.

The Tv I am trying to hook it to is NOT hooked up to cable, it is older but has HDMI and USB, it is not HD.

Might the lack of cable or no HD be a factor?

Thks,

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@gary5 

Thanks for the information.

With the provided information, it's hard to tell what exactly the issue is. But since the device is working on another TV, it is not the device that is causing the issue. Is the location of the working TV closer to the router by any chance?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos