Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

roku stick stopped working on one tv but still works on anther

I have an gen 2 Roku stick.  It worked fine on the upstairs Samsung TV for 3 years but now I cannot get it past the initial screen.  I reset the stick, tested it on the downstairs Samsung  and it works fine.  I tried again on the upstairs Samsung and no go.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: roku stick stopped working on one tv but still works on anther

Well, if it's working fine on one TV, that kind of points the finger at the other TV, and not the Roku. You can try a different HDMI port. From your description you're seeing the boot screen (dancing letters) but nothing after that. That usually indicates a failure of the HDMI handshake to agree on the correct screen resolution. Again, if it's working on one TV, that means the Roku is working fine. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: roku stick stopped working on one tv but still works on anther

Does your upstairs tv have another HDMI port on which to try connecting your Roku Stick?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos