Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdmill
Level 7

roku express+ composite/audio socket uses

I don't want to have to turn on my big HDMI tv to listen to Pandora.
Could I simply connect my 3.5 mm stereo speaker input plug (a buffered hi impedance input) into the express+ composite/audio output jack
in order to produce sound to my speaker system.  This would be a sweet option!
The plugs seem compatible(?) for the audio rings, but the composite signal output would be shorted probably.
[see raspberry pi plug schematic...  https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/07/raspberry-pi-model-b-3-5mm-audiovideo-jack/  ]
Would shorting of the roku composite output be a fatal overdrive output problem?
Usually these outputs are about 1k ohm impedance, to protect the analog output drivers from accidental shorts etc., and so would not be a problem.
Are there any roku engineers or technicians out there who could answer this question.
Not willing to risk it yet...but it would be a nice option.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: roku express+ composite/audio socket uses

I've never owned a Roku with analog outputs (I think). Didn't it come with an analog cable that you can use the RCA L/R jacks? You can't hook them straight to speakers, since the Roku has no audio amp, but I think you know that. If you don't have the cables it came with, I would try to find out the precise pin-out of the jack, and make sure you don't mess with the video portion. Don't think it would break something, but better safe than sorry.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Re: roku express+ composite/audio socket uses

The older models did work, but from what I've read the newer models will not output to both.

Try, it won't hurt anything.
0 Kudos