Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlccc2
Level 7

"Website experienced an unexpected problem" error message

I recently purchased a used roku xs off ebay and keep getting a "website experienced an unexpected problem" page when I try and activate the device onto my account. I even tried to create a new account and get the same error message. I've tried activating it in numerous other browsers with no change. Suggestions? Seems like this is an ongoing problem from what I see online. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
twiceover
Level 11

Re: "Website experienced an unexpected problem" error message

No idea.  But the 2XS is probably 7+ years old at this point.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Probably a bad device. I'd suggest returning it.

The Roku 2 XS was introduced 7 years ago, as mentioned. It was discontinued over five years ago. I strongly suggest not buying any streaming device that old. Is there a reason you went with that particular device?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

If you want to watch YouTube on a Roku, ditch that 2 XS and get something much newer. YouTube is painful on a 2 XS. I still have a 2 XS buried in a drawer, because it's next to useless due to its lack of performance. It was a good box in its day, but it is far behind the curve now. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mlccc2
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:

The Roku 2 XS was introduced 7 years ago, as mentioned. It was discontinued over five years ago. I strongly suggest not buying any streaming device that old. Is there a reason you went with that particular device?

The only reason I went with it was because it was $9.99 with free shipping and figured you can't even get a replacement remote at that price and took a gamble. Oh well!
0 Kudos
mlccc2
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
If you want to watch YouTube on a Roku, ditch that 2 XS and get something much newer. YouTube is painful on a 2 XS. I still have a 2 XS buried in a drawer, because it's next to useless due to its lack of performance. It was a good box in its day, but it is far behind the curve now. Perfo

I have a Roku HD that I bought years ago and you're right, watching You Tube on it is painful and done rarely. Guess it's time to get some new equipment which I thought I would only do once this one passed on.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"mlccc2" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

The only reason I went with it was because it was $9.99 with free shipping and figured you can't even get a replacement remote at that price and took a gamble. Oh well!

The remote for the Roku 2 XS is a Bluetooth remote. All of the other RF remotes are WiFi Direct.

The Bluetooth remote will also work on the Roku 2 XD. I've heard it will work on the Roku 2 HD, but I can't confirm that's true. It won't work with the Roku HD (as I assume you have already discovered).

If you want a cheap Roku (price, not quality) get the $30 Roku Express. It's a current device and supports all the streaming apps.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos