Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saw
Level 8

"Hot Swap" of new ROKU Ultra

Jump to solution

I have a 4 year old ROKU box, and would like to replace it with the new ROKU Ultra that just arrived at my doorstep...

I don't want to "disassemble" my entertainment system.  Can I :

1 - Use the same AC power adapter?
2 - Use the same HDMI cable

TV is a 7 year old HD Plasma (so, no 4K) and HDMI goes through an equally old Yamaha AV amp.

I'm hoping I can just quick-swap the box without running any new wires. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: "Hot Swap" of new ROKU Ultra

Jump to solution

@saw 

Thanks for the note. It depends entirely on the model of Roku Ultra that you own. If you have a previous generation Roku Ultra (model 4640) this does not use the same power adapter as the current generation Roku Ultra (model 4670). You would need to replace that component. 

The HDMI cable should be alright, as long as it's an HDCP 2.2 certified HDMI cable. All 4K content requires this on today's devices. Your previous generation device would have had the same requirement, but it never hurts to update HDMI cables if you run into an issue. Premium or High-Speed cables that are HDCP 2.2 certified are the new gold standard for 4K / HDR content. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@saw 

Thanks for the note. It depends entirely on the model of Roku Ultra that you own. If you have a previous generation Roku Ultra (model 4640) this does not use the same power adapter as the current generation Roku Ultra (model 4670). You would need to replace that component. 

The HDMI cable should be alright, as long as it's an HDCP 2.2 certified HDMI cable. All 4K content requires this on today's devices. Your previous generation device would have had the same requirement, but it never hurts to update HDMI cables if you run into an issue. Premium or High-Speed cables that are HDCP 2.2 certified are the new gold standard for 4K / HDR content. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
saw
Level 8

Jump to solution

That solves the HDMI cable question.  But the previous device is NOT an "Ultra" - it's whatever was the top-end player when I bought it in April of 2015.  The Ultra (its replacement) was just purchased a few days ago.

0 Kudos