Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sweattb
Channel Surfer

older tv with hdmi doesn't want to connect with Roku

I have an older HP pavilion tv with one HDMI port that was manufactured in 2005. At first, the Roku device was plugged into an hdmi switch, but then I plugged it into the tv directly when I thought that would help to get it to work. When I plug in the Roku stick, the Roku logo comes up but then dissapears. When I click on the Roku remote, it has the Roku sound but just a black screen. Also after the Roku logo came up a dialogue box came up with "an incompatible device has been plugged in.". I tried resetting the device, but still get the same results.

Is my tv too old to make this work or is there a fix that will get this working.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: older tv with hdmi doesn't want to connect with Roku

What's the model number of the TV?  The problem with those first generation HDTVs is that they often don't support HDCP (copy protection).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
sweattb
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response. The model # is LC3700N. It also shows a regulatory model # CPTOH-0509.

0 Kudos
sweattb
Channel Surfer

I should also have mentioned that I hooked up a Firestick to the TV via a switch and it does work and has all the functions of the firestick.

Well, I tried to post a response, but got a message stating that I needed to enter 140 or more chatacters to post. Hopefully this will be enough. Go figure.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@sweattb-

I'm guessing the Roku is sending a signal in a resolution which the "problem" TV does not support. If that's the case, you should see the normal "bouncing letters" Roku startup screen, but lose your picture when it tries to load the home screen.

I'd suggest trying the Roku on a different TV if one is available, especially if that TV has a working Roku. If it comes up okay there, go into Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the actual resolution of the "problem" set instead of a different resolution or the "auto" setting. When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option to save this setting to the Roku. Now move the Roku back to the "problem" set and see if it works.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
renojim

I found the manual and there's no mention of what it accepts over HDMI, but I'm going to assume it doesn't support 1080p.  The only mention of 1080p in the manual is in the French section and it's probably a typo.  However, 720p should be just fine.  I would echo @makaiguy 's suggestion to set it up on another TV if possible and then set the Display Type in the Roku's Settings to 720p.  I see there's some options in the TV's menu for HDMI settings that you might want to experiment with.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
sweattb
Channel Surfer

Thanks, I'll look at the tv's hdmi settings also.

0 Kudos