Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkoors
Reel Rookie

new express setup stuck in software update loop

I purchased an express after the roku express I had for 3 years was having issues. Plugged it in according to directions (with package cords). It kept going through the language, wireless connection, software, bouncing roku then back through the whole thing again and again. I checked another wifi, all cords, different hdmi outlet, reset roku, reset modems, AND then returned it and purchased a SECOND device.  Same exact problem. What is the issue here? 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: new express setup stuck in software update loop

@mkoors wrote:

I purchased an express after the roku express I had for 3 years was having issues. Plugged it in according to directions (with package cords). It kept going through the language, wireless connection, software, bouncing roku then back through the whole thing again and again. I checked another wifi, all cords, different hdmi outlet, reset roku, reset modems, AND then returned it and purchased a SECOND device.  Same exact problem. What is the issue here? 

Two separate Roku devices unable to complete setup? That sounds like there's an issue with the update portion of the setup. It's failing at a critical point and starting over. That indicates something on your network is stopping the update. Perhaps you're on a crowded channel (nearby networks using the same channel could interfere). Do you know if you're on channel 1, 6, or 11 on your 2.4 GHz network? And can you try each of those and see if one of them resolves it?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mkoors
Reel Rookie

Thank you. I'm not sure where to find/change the channel. If I log into the IP should I be able to modify that there?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@mkoors wrote:

Thank you. I'm not sure where to find/change the channel. If I log into the IP should I be able to modify that there?

That depends on your router. They don't all have the same way to access user/admin menus. Some offer apps. Some have local Web interfaces. It's often in the paperwork that came with the router.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mkoors
Reel Rookie

I did find where to switch the channels. I tried the 3 you recommended.  I also remember I tried the hotspot on my phone (which normally works on my roku). No dice.  Any other options?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@mkoors wrote:

I did find where to switch the channels. I tried the 3 you recommended.  I also remember I tried the hotspot on my phone (which normally works on my roku). No dice.  Any other options?

Nothing comes to mind. Again, you reported two separate brand new out of the box Roku devices unable to complete setup and restarting setup process. That indicates the update process failed. Yes, it could be Roku server issues, but that would usually mean many many many users reporting issues, which hasn't happened. Generally, it's something on the user's network preventing the update. 

Some of the more knowledgable network folks on the forum here will have some ideas, I'm sure. I'm reluctant to suggest tinkering with a firewall, which could be the cause of the update failure. Your hotspot attempt also is quite surprising, as that usually is a good workaround.

It's possible two consecutive Roku devices were bad, but I'm not certain what the odds of that would be.

I'm at a loss for now. Others may have some suggestions.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
mkoors
Reel Rookie

Since I already tried my phone hotspot I figured my alternate signals base was covered but... I tried my husbands verizon Jetpack and it worked! I'm hoping once its setup it'll be ok with the other signal.  Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Awesome. Glad its working.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Mraade76

I had the same problem and I thought that I had tried everything until I plugged the usb cable into an external outlet and not the USB port in my TV.

I was surprised to see that’s all I needed to do.