Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

iPad or phone required?

Do I need to have an iPad or phone in the room to stream off of, or does it work directly with the remote on the tv. I’m looking to use in a guest bedroom and don’t want to have to give people my iPad to choose what they want to stream.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: iPad or phone required?

@Candace1 wrote:
Do I need to have an iPad or phone in the room to stream off of, or does it work directly with the remote on the tv. I’m looking to use in a guest bedroom and don’t want to have to give people my iPad to choose what they want to stream.

No, these are stand-alone players. You are thinking of the Chromecast, where a separate device is needed to select and play media. A Roku needs nothing but power, network/Internet access, and a display. They all come with a remote control to make selections from the screen. Of course, depending on what you want to watch you may need to subscribe to a streaming service, such as Prime Video, Netflix or Hulu. But there is lots of free content available as well, and Roku devices have lots of channels to choose from. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos