Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

how would HD antenna work with my standalone roku device?

Jump to solution

Hi there, so I have an older roku.  It visibly looks like the current 4k model, probably the one before that.  not the generation that stopped working lately.

That said I saw promotional info from Roku saying you can watch HD TV through Roku..  this is great.  I could get an HD antenna, however I just wanted to be sure this isn't something that only applies to TVs with Roku built into the TV..  will my outboard Roku using a single HDMI cable be able to access the remote antenna somehow?  I have a 52" Samsung.  It's a little older..  smart device.  However I still use my Roku with it because it's not smart enough to have the Roku app installed on it.  

Thanks,

Caleb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: how would HD antenna work with my standalone roku device?

Jump to solution

Yes, you can watch TV using a Roku device. However, that doesn't mean you can connect an antenna to it and receive over the air (OTA) TV. Only a Roku TV has a TV tuner. What that promotion likely meant is you can access TV content on a Roku through various channels. And depending on where you live, there is a new service that offers local OTA channels with excellent quality. The catch is they aren't in all markets yet. The channel is called Locast. It requires creating a free account on their website (locast.org).

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yes, you can watch TV using a Roku device. However, that doesn't mean you can connect an antenna to it and receive over the air (OTA) TV. Only a Roku TV has a TV tuner. What that promotion likely meant is you can access TV content on a Roku through various channels. And depending on where you live, there is a new service that offers local OTA channels with excellent quality. The catch is they aren't in all markets yet. The channel is called Locast. It requires creating a free account on their website (locast.org).

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I see, that's good to know.  I kinda figured that might be the catch.  It wasn't clear at the time, but that's good to hear.  I will check out lowcast.  I'm in the Boston area, so hopefully that's a big enough city to have some streaming support of over the air channels.  I suppose worse case I can still get HD channels but it's just a different TV mode.. I'm not a big fan of that.. Would much rather stay in the Eco-sphere of Roku.  

0 Kudos