Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azowl
Level 7

As an introduction, I have a pre-smart tv, A 55 inch Samsung Flat screen. I use COX cable and wished to supplement it with Roku, mainly to be able to add CBS Prime, and to eliminate several costly packages. A tech friend recommended ROKU as did Best Buy. Yesterday, I purchased a Roku stick 3800 and started the install this A.M.
My TV has 4 HDMI ports. HDMI1 is used as the main input, HDMI2 for blue ray. I was confused as how to install The Roku and called for support for help. The tech said to use HDMI3. I questioned him on this because in my mind I would have to toggle between HDMI1 and 3 to get either to work. He Said,” Roku will only recognize your TV and not the HDMI input.” That did not make any sense to me, however,,,,Sure enough,..He said that he had exceeded his allotted time and suggested that I use the on-line help attachment. I did and was informed that there was a cost, even though the ROKU was only one day old.
Before I return the ROKU to B/B, I thought I would try the forum….help

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 13

Re: help

Jump to solution
"azowl" wrote:
YES.......CBS Prime (The Good Fight) I do have a AV Receiver which has multiple ports, but seems like it will work the same. I have everything except the ROKU running through it  Are you saying I should have the ROKU connected to the receiver not the TV

That's the way my Ultra is set up. I use my stick when I travel, so it of course plugs directly into the hotel TV. But if you have an open HDMI port on the AVR, absolutely connect the Roku there. Then you never have to switch the TV input. Just change the input on the AVR and it sends it all through the same HDMI cable to the TV.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Jump to solution
Yes, if you plug the Roku in HDMI 3, you must select HDMI 3 on your remote when you'd like to use it.

Many things on Roku are free, but many of the popular services like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, CBS, and others require a monthly payment.

There are other streaming services that work along with your cable subscription, kind of like a convenience.

There are others that are free but supported by commercials.

It all depends on what you are interested in using. List what you are trying to watch, and we can help you more.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution
You might have reached a scam site posing as Roku support. Never provide any sort of personal or credit card information to claimed support sites. Hopefully you didn't do that.  Smiley Very Happy
But they are correct that when you connect devices directly to the TV, you much change your TV input to the device you want to use. However, it makes zero difference which HDMI port you use, since I believe we aren't dealing with a 4K TV, or one that is using ARC out. 

He Said,” Roku will only recognize your TV and not the HDMI input.” 

That sounds like it might have been someone that English wasn't their native language. Not certain what he was trying to say, but yes you have to change HDMI ports to use your other devices. 
When you say HDMI 1 is your "main" input, are you saying it is connected to an Audio Visual Receiver (AVR), and you have other devices connected to the AVR? If so, you should have your Blu Ray player and Roku both connected to the AVR. This way you would only need to change the TV input between HDMI 1 and over the air TV. But if the AVR is out of ports, I can see the need to use the TV inputs. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
azowl
Level 7

Jump to solution
YES.......CBS Prime (The Good Fight) I do have a AV Receiver which has multiple ports, but seems like it will work the same. I have everything except the ROKU running through it  Are you saying I should have the ROKU connected to the receiver not the TV
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution
"azowl" wrote:

That's the way my Ultra is set up. I use my stick when I travel, so it of course plugs directly into the hotel TV. But if you have an open HDMI port on the AVR, absolutely connect the Roku there. Then you never have to switch the TV input. Just change the input on the AVR and it sends it all through the same HDMI cable to the TV.
Dan
0 Kudos
azowl
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thank you so much!!!!!!! changed the input to my AVR and it made all the difference in the world
0 Kudos