Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

help - roku set-up for dummies + need more help

Background:

I am a complete tech-dummy. I have living room TV (new smart tv type) that is set up with Xfinity/comcast internet. It has a box. and xfinity remote. It is fine.

Room 2  - OLD style Toshiba TV I want to keep. It also has a xfinity box and I use the xfinity remote. It was set up by the xfinity guy when he came, and that's all I understand.

I want to have netflix on Room 2 TV. So, I believe I did buy the correct Roku Express + product. It has the red, white, and yellow plugs.

Do I put those colored plugs into the xfinity box? or take out the xfinity box and try to do this directly on the TV.  I am not sure I can do this by myself. I tried to find youtubes but didnt find any that helped.

Would I use the xfinity remote, or this little tiny remote the roku came with.?

Is it worth it? I do want the old TV at this point.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 21

Re: help - roku set-up for dummies + need more help

Only you can say whether it's worth it, but it might be difficult to explain everything in writing.  How is the cable box connected to the TV?  Is it with red/white/yellow wires or one black cable?  Can you find the model numbers of the cable box and the TV (usually on the back somewhere)?

0 Kudos
Level 12

Even though the TV is old, hopefully it has more than one set of video inputs.  I know my 1990 TV had 3 or 4.  If yours does, then it's just a matter of switching inputs with your TV remote.  Then run the Roku with the Roku remote.  I have no idea about the connectors on the Xfinity box.  Are they labeled as inputs or outputs?  (My guess would be outputs, and so, completely useless for plugging in your Roku.)

0 Kudos
Level 7

My old Toshiba (around 2005) has colored plugs going into it now. It has 2 empty In sections and 1 empty out section for the colored cables... I may not get this, I am wondering if i set up with Roku, do I have to use that dinky remote. and not get my infinity channels on the infinity remote and box. Can I switch easily between them? Sorry, I guess I do not know what my aim is or what is possible, but I think I have the equipment but no understanding. Thanks for your patience with your help.

0 Kudos
Level 12

OK – sounds like you have 2 unused inputs so you can plug into one of those, then switch to it with the TV remote.  When you are done watching the Roku, just use the TV remote to switch back to cable.  I am assuming your goal was to just add roku to your existing setup, not replace infinity. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

I just tried plugging the 3 color cables on roku into the back of the TV (along side the ones that go to Xfinty box).  Then I also plugged in the roku into the wall plug outlet.  It did not turn on.  This makes me think I need to plug it into the back of the Xfinity Box. (which now holds the TV intelligence?) but the only thing I can plug into is taking out the color cords that go into TV... this seems not right somehow. I think I will lose my xfinity this way and then have another problem of how to set it up again. .... arrgh.

0 Kudos
Level 12

The Roku is powered on as soon as you apply power.  There is nothing to "turn on" on it.

Did you change the input on the TV?

The TV is still a TV.  Neither of this boxes holds the TV's intelligence.

0 Kudos
Level 7

"Did you change the input on the TV?"

I may be lost, because I do not know what that means.

The Roku has a tiny flicker of a light on the right side, but pushing the buttons it does nothing.

Perhaps I can take a few pictures in a few days and post them of the back of the TV and the back of Xfinity box, and what I got in the Roku Box. 

I thank you for your help today.

Barb

0 Kudos
Level 12

Your TV has multiple inputs.  It is now set to the one to which the xfinity box is attached.  You need to set it to the one the Roku is attached to in order to see the Roku.

This is usually done with a button on the TV remote (not the cable or Roku remote.) Some TVs have a dedicated button for each input.  Some have a button that cycles through all the inputs.  Some have a menu.

0 Kudos
Level 7

thank you. I will try this in the next few days and experiment again and get back to you. I did not know also that the TV remote is involved (which I have). Thanks. I will report back.

0 Kudos