Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

hdmi to composit video

I am adding a roku unit to a tv that has composit video imputs will a hdmi to composit video cable work or do I need a converter?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: hdmi to composit video

You need a converter.  A simple cable won't work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Trying to hook up Roku Express to tv with no hdmi ports

I'm trying to connect a Roku Express to an older Phillips-Magnavox tv with no HDMI ports.  I had a Sony Blu Ray player connected to this tv with an adapter cord that connects HDMI to the older RCA connectors on the back of the tv.  The HDMI-RCA adapter is not working with the Roku Express-- I just have a black screen. It doesn't even go to the set-up menu. Any ideas or suggestions wold be greatly appreciated...preferably before I put a brick through the screen in frustration.

P.S. I was able to connect the RE to a newer tv with an available HDMI port on the back, so it's not a problem with the player.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Trying to hook up Roku Express to tv with no hdmi ports

I'm having the same issue. I am wondering if it's a wiring issue with the cables to the connectors that is limiting the use on an older TV?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Trying to hook up Roku Express to tv with no hdmi ports

If you just have a simple cable, it won't work.  You need an actual converter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-Converter-Supports-DVD-Black/dp/B06W9LQDBB

0 Kudos