Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

code to add new tablet device - allow devices

Trying to add a new tablet to Roku and the tablet is asking for a code.  Roku isn't providing a code.  Both tablet and Roku are on the same network.  Can someone please tell me how to get the code?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: code to add new tablet device - allow devices

Are you trying to connect to the Wi-Fi direct connection?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

wireless

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

You don't connect to the Roku's wireless connection.  If you're using the Wi-Fi settings on your tablet to try to connect to the Roku, then it won't work.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  You use the Roku app on your tablet to interact with the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the response.  Not sure my initial answer was posted, apologies if this is a re-post.  

Trying to connect thru WiFi with a Samsung tablet to watch downloaded movies/shows.  (Streaming is not an option.)  Old tablet had "screen mirroring" this one does not.  But it does have Google play and when trying to connect that to the Roku the tablet asks for the "code".  Roku is not providing a code, so I am at a loss.  Both the tablet and the Roku are on the same WiFi network and Roku screen mirroring is set to "always allow".  We are able to connect a Samsung phone to Roku with no problem.  

Sorry, not very well versed on this subject and not sure if I need an app to screen mirror or if I need to return the tablet.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@SM55 wrote:

Thanks for the response.  Not sure my initial answer was posted, apologies if this is a re-post.  

Trying to connect thru WiFi with a Samsung tablet to watch downloaded movies/shows.  (Streaming is not an option.)  Old tablet had "screen mirroring" this one does not.  But it does have Google play and when trying to connect that to the Roku the tablet asks for the "code".  Roku is not providing a code, so I am at a loss.  Both the tablet and the Roku are on the same WiFi network and Roku screen mirroring is set to "always allow".  We are able to connect a Samsung phone to Roku with no problem.  

Sorry, not very well versed on this subject and not sure if I need an app to screen mirror or if I need to return the tablet.  

Since it's a Samsung tablet, I'm assuming it's Android based. Several years ago when I had an Android phone I could screen share to a Roku with no problem, but it did require an app on the phone. What that app was, I can't say, as it was some time ago. But I'm certain it's still possible. 

To screen share, you don't connect the Samsung WiFi to the Roku. You connect it to the same network the Roku is connected to. Screen sharing doesn't require a password or code, but you do need to enable Screen Mirroring in the Roku Settings/System menu. Mine is set to prompt, so when something tries to connect a prompt appears on the Roku screen. I can connect my Windows laptop to my Ultra without issue this way.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you to all who have responded.  Not understanding how everything coordinates makes it hard to explain.  If I understand correctly, once both the tablet and the Roku are on the same WiFi network they should recognize one another.  So perhaps the Google play app is what has thrown me off course.  I think what I need is an app on the tablet that will enable screen sharing.  I did d/l'd SmartView and that doesn't appear to work.  Not sure exactly what it is that I should be looking for.  

Any recommendations for an Android app that will work provide screen sharing?  And is there anything specific I should be looking for or staying away from?

Once again, thanks for all the help.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Don't know how helpful this might be. It's a few years old so might not be up to date:

http://www.tecsprint.com/how-to-mirror-windows-10-pc-android-screen-on-roku/

Cast Android Screen to Roku

• On Android device, go to Settings -> Display and tap on Cast Screen.
  • If you have enabled screen mirroring on Roku device, you should see Roku device here in your Android device under Cast screen.
  • Tap on Roku device and Check Enable Wireless display.

Now after few seconds your Android device’s screen will begin casting to Roku device.
Once you are done, press Home button on your Smart TV’s remote control to stop casting and go to your Smart TV’s home button.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi Dan,  

That's pretty much the way I've done it in the past (with my old Samsung/Android tablet).  The only difference was it used screen mirroring, rather than casting.  We have an Android phone that works the same way. This new tablet did not come with anything to enable either option.  I thought because Google play was asking for a code, it meant the tablet was trying to connect to Roku.  Now, I'm not so sure that's the case.  Tablet was purchased for the sole purpose of mirroring downloaded movies to the TV using Roku and was advertised as being able to do just that.    

Looking for a mirroring app that will work with Roku while I try to sort this out. 

Thanks, sm 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just wanted to say Thank You to all who have offered assistance.  From what I can tell, the issue I am having is not with Roku, but with the tablet itself.  I tried a few different mirroring/casting apps and none were able to discover the Roku. 

Thanks again,

Sm55 

0 Kudos