Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

XFinity Stream with Roku Ultra - surround sound system

Jump to solution

Hello!

If I were to purchase the Ultra, this would take the place of my XFinity DVR box.  I would still keep Xfinity service and sign in through the XFinity Stream app now on the Roku Ultra. What I'm wondering is, my audio setup now is I have a receiver, center channel, two front and rear speakers. I am pretty sure they are connected to the DVR Box via an optical cord so that I can enjoy TV in surround sound. Would I have that option with the Roku Ultra?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: XFinity Stream with Roku Ultra - surround sound system

Jump to solution

@JHoliday Thanks for the note. We don't currently offer an optical audio output connection on Roku Streaming Players. The last model that offered this was the 2016 Roku Ultra (model 4640).

You would need to connect any of our current devices via HDMI for surround sound audio output. 

You can check out more about the current Roku Player lineup here: https://www.roku.com/products/players

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@JHoliday Thanks for the note. We don't currently offer an optical audio output connection on Roku Streaming Players. The last model that offered this was the 2016 Roku Ultra (model 4640).

You would need to connect any of our current devices via HDMI for surround sound audio output. 

You can check out more about the current Roku Player lineup here: https://www.roku.com/products/players

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

The Xfinity Stream app doesn't provide surround sound anyway.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I can't believe after over a year, they still dont offer Dolby surround on the Xfinity Stream app.  My X1 box burned up after 6 months.  Figured it would, it ran hot as a firecracker, even on a laptop cooler.  I returned it and just planned to use the Roku.  Oh well, time to hook the Tivo bolt back up.

0 Kudos