Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Will this work?

Jump to solution
My mother-n-law has a very old tv with no hdmi ports.
We have Netflix service and want to share with her. I have heard that Roku will no longer support Netflix.
We really like your remote , it looks easy for her to use. The question is if we see a Roku remote that has a Netflix button on it will it work? We are planning to buy an composite (yellow, red,white jacks) to hdmi converter
Will my mother-n-law still be able use my Netflix account or do we need to use fire stick or another streaming attachment???
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Will this work?

Jump to solution

@Soulbee1 wrote:
Thought you guys was stopping supporting Netflix ??? If this is true , should my mother n law buy Roku or purchase a fire stick???
https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-will-stop-working-on-older-roku-devices-in-december/

It's only the very oldest Roku players that Netflix is no longer supporting. And it's Netflix that's dropping support, not Roku themselves. But yes, if you have one of the unsupported players you will have to replace it for Netflix to work. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Sounds like the old gal still has a tube TV.

Only one way to know if the RCA plugs to HDMI will work. should work.

You can get a newer TV second hand at Salvation Army or something.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Can’t convince her to buy a new one yet this old one still works well for her. 
I am hoping the RCA plugs to HDMI will work. .. she is in Idaho and I live in NY so I have to help her remotely ... Main Question is will Roku still work with Netflix? We saw the remote in Walmart and it does have a Netflix button on it.  Will it still work ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

I dont see why not. Some people have experienced problems with Netflix

but I do believe Netflix has been on it and fixing their bugs. A lot of money is at stake.

None of the problems I've read have been related to RCA plugs. Go for it.

A few years ago I had a Sony Tube TV I liked and had it stuck into an old TV cabinet

from the early 50's. I was a die hard as well. When I cut the cord I got a nice well rated

BIG Sharp and I haven't looked back. I'm an old timer as well but its nice to have more real estate.

Somehow I adapt. Tell your MoM to get with the program.

Let us know how it goes......

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thought you guys was stopping supporting Netflix ??? If this is true , should my mother n law buy Roku or purchase a fire stick???
https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-will-stop-working-on-older-roku-devices-in-december/
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Soulbee1 wrote:

It's only the very oldest Roku players that Netflix is no longer supporting. And it's Netflix that's dropping support, not Roku themselves. But yes, if you have one of the unsupported players you will have to replace it for Netflix to work. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thanks for all your responses
Appreciate the help
0 Kudos