Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Will Roku work with my equipment, and if so, how?

Hello all,

I am wondering if Roku will work with my current equipment. 

I have a Panasonic flat screen TV that is at least 10 years old, not a smart TV (I don't believe), but the TV does have an HDMI port.  One other thing, a family member does not do well in a wireless environment, so I would want to stream Netflix movies via an ethernet cable, is Roku for me?

Les 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Will Roku work with my equipment, and if so, how?

What's the model number of the TV?  The only question would be whether it supports HDCP (copy protection).  The only model of Roku that has an Ethernet port is the Ultra, so if you want a wired connection that's the one to get.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi Thank You for your reply!  The model number of my Panasonic TV is TC-50PS14

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

That model TV reports supporting 1080p, so it should work with any Roku player. As @renojim mentioned, only the Roku Ultra has an Ethernet port, and is capable of using a wired connection.

However, please be aware that the Roku will still use wireless, even if you're Ethernet connected. The remote uses WiFi Direct to communicate with the player, and there's no way to disable it. It's a lower level of RF compared to the WiFi used for the network connection, but it's there none the less. Some other Roku players use an IR remote, but they don't have the Ethernet port. And other brands of players also use wireless for their remotes, either Bluetooth or WiFi as Roku does. But they're all on the 2.4 GHz radio band.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Great information, thank you!  I don't know if you know the answer to this or not.  For the Remote on the Ultra, are we going to have to connect the remote to a wireless network, or hot spot from a cell phone?  I am glad it is low level.  We are able to hot spot from home for the occasional connection, which doesn't seem to be problematic 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@Les2020 wrote:

Great information, thank you!  I don't know if you know the answer to this or not.  For the Remote on the Ultra, are we going to have to connect the remote to a wireless network, or hot spot from a cell phone?  I am glad it is low level.  We are able to hot spot from home for the occasional connection, which doesn't seem to be problematic 

When setting up the Ultra, one of the steps is to pair the remote to the unit.  This establishes a low level wifi connection directly between the remote and the unit.  The remote does not use or require a local wifi network.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help, take care!

0 Kudos