Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Will Roku Premiere work with a 10-year old HDTV?

Have a 10-year old Samsung HDTV, Model # UN40B6000VF and noted "R-P" indicates "compatible with 4K/HDR TV" w/an HDCP 2.2 HDMI port. Requesting if my tv will support the Roku Premiere?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Will Roku Premiere work with a 10-year old HDTV?

I'm using a couple of new Roku Ultras on a couple of sets around that vintage. It detects them as 1080p sets with HDCP 1.4 and they work fine at 1080p 60Hz. I assume if I get a new set capable of 4K and HDR10, supporting HDCP 2.2, it will detect that and output at the new resolution and colorspace. In the meantime, it's downward compatible with HD sets.

Highlighted
Level 15

As long as it has HDMI and supports HDCP, it will work with most any Roku. Even an old TV with DVI may work, although you won't get audio. I also have a nearly 10-year old Sony, and it works fine with my Roku 4.

Highlighted
Level 7

If I won't get audio (sound) why go to all the trouble; then it is NOT compatible, correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Its compatible.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Andyross was referring to using DVI input, which doesn't include audio. Where Hdmi will, so its compatible. 

Edmund