Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lpauls580

Why is a screensaver available for trump and not one for Biden

When I am setting up my screensaver I can find 2 for trump but not one for Biden. That's discrimination. Fix it. 

6 REPLIES 6
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Why is a screensaver available for trump and not one for Biden

Just because there’s no screensaver for Biden doesn’t make it a discrimination.  You would need to request it here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Lpauls580 

Roku didn't build the screen saver about which you are complaining. That's a third party screen saver. Your directing anger at Roku is misplaced.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Lpauls580 

If you use the new Photo Streams Screensaver feature of your Roku device (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/d8d126664f60a6f69a727a709f192d58/roku-photo-streams), you can make your own Screensaver and stream Biden all day long. (for free!)

(5 tips to help you make the most of Roku Photo Streams - https://www.roku.com/blog/roku-photo-streams)

----

You can even make a Screensaver of President Biden bike riding through Brandon Falls if you want.  👍

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

fluke
Roku Guru

@Lpauls580 wrote:

When I am setting up my screensaver I can find 2 for trump but not one for Biden. That's discrimination. Fix it. 

One of the screensavers we have as an option because "New Age Studios" published it.  The same channel publisher has some 18+ channels for Roku as well.  The privacy policy web page for the screen saver used to be hosted on Dreamhost which is a cheap $2 per month web hosting provider.

I think this shows Roku is not discriminating and will allow just about anyone publish a screensaver for Roku.  The lack of a Biden screensaver seems to indicate a bias on the part of people currently publishing screensavers.

If this is really bothering you, there is a couple things you can do:

First, you can report the New Age Studios' Trump Screensavers in not currently being in compliance with the Roku Distribution Agreement which states:

14.2. You must conspicuously make available, including within your Application(s) and on your website(s), a privacy policy that complies with Law and that otherwise provides clear and complete information to users regarding your collection, use and disclosure (including to Roku) of user or Device data.

I can't find their website and the privacy policy link included on the Roku channel store does not work.  Roku /might/ choose to take the screensaver off if the publish can't or won't provide an updated privacy policy link.  It might be possible that the screensaver does not result in any private information being collected but even in that situation a privacy policy should be disclosed stating that.

Other thing you can do is learn BrightScript and develop your own Roku screensaver and bring balance to the force.  Just make sure to comply with all the requirements of publishing to the Roku platform which including providing a privacy policy.  🙂

Personally, I would like a screen saver the scrolls the lyrics to They Might be Giants song "James K. Polk" and ends with promoting re-electing him for four more years.

Otherwise, if we need a potential candidate that is still alive, how about a screensaver for Lawrence Lessig for president?

There are so many people that screensavers could be produced for.  But the lack of them is not discrimination on the part of Roku.

AprilRain

I was wondering the same thing. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @AprilRain

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! How long has the issue existed? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos