Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barbara2477
Reel Rookie

What kind of Roku device should I buy?

I have an older TV, about 14 or 15 years old, brand is Insignia. It is not Smart or 4K but does have HDMI which currently is hooked to cable TV. I am getting rid of cable TV and would like to set it up with Roku. But when I look at all the streaming devices, I have no idea what to buy. Will the devices for Smart and 4K work with my TV since it's not either? Or is there another kind of device for my TV? I don't want a lot of fancy stuff like earphones and voice control, just a basic device that will work with the remote. What should I buy? thank you, Barbara

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What kind of Roku device should I buy?

Any of the current models should work with your TV.  The 4k devices will work with your TV, but as you said you don't need one.  The two Express models are the least expensive, although the 4k stick is the same price as the Express 4k+ right now.  For multiple reasons I've been recommending avoiding the sticks.  For you, the big advantage of the Express 4k+ over the Express is the remote that comes with the 4k+.  It can be set up to control your TV's power and volume.  If you don't mind using multiple remotes then you don't really need it.  If your router is by your TV and you want to avoid Wi-Fi issues then the Ultra is the way to go, but it's pricey compared to the Express.

You can see them all here:  https://www.roku.com/products/players

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Being that your TV is older you might want to consider a Roku TV. There are brands like TCL or Hisense. Costs range from $200-500. We don’t know your budget. I own 3 TCL Roku TVs and love them. If you want to keep your TV then an Express 4K or Stick 4K will suffice. Don’t buy the base model Express since it only works on the 2.4 GHz so you may have connection issues 

Barbara2477
Reel Rookie

The "Streaming Stick 4K" that I see on one of the boxes looks like a flash drive. Is that what it is? What does it do?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Barbara2477 

It's just a streaming device. It plugs directly into the HDMI port on the TV. The boxes sit on a shelf and are connected via an HDMI cable. But they do the same thing, just a different form factor.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Barbara2477  everything you need to know is right on Roku’s website. But if I were you I would opt for a Roku TV

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

If you can afford it, and want to "refresh" an older TV, then Roku Streambar/Streambar pro is the answer. It is what I have done (as second Roku device), very happy with it.

Streambar improves the sound (streaming and over the air, DVD) as well as add streaming/smartness to a older dumb TV, and can take a physical network connection by adding a $10 dongle (details available elsewhere here). 

Streambar will be a little cheaper than a new smart TV (Roku or other Smart "platform" with streaming capability built in).

Ecologically greener than buying a new TV, although if you can find a good reuse of older TV that also works.  Try to avoid old TV going to landfill if not broken.

Not a Roku employee
Barbara2477
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your suggestion. I will look into it.

Barbara

0 Kudos