Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJN1
Reel Rookie

What Roku product(s) will work with a Sony Bravia TV (Model KDL-32BX420) manufactured in 2011?

Jump to solution

I'm not tech-savy and want to cut the cord on my cable service. I'm interested in some advice on if I can use a Roku product for my Sony Bravia TV (Model KDL-32BX420) manufactured in October 2011. It is an LCD Digital Color TV. Based on my limited reading, will the older HDMI ports be an issue for this TV? If there are more than one Roku products that would work, which one would work better?  Will I need to buy some additional equipment to enable it to work? Thanks in advance to any experts that can help me understand the ins/outs of cutting the cable. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: What Roku product(s) will work with a Sony Bravia TV (Model KDL-32BX420) manufactured in 2011?

Jump to solution

Any of the Roku Player models should work.

I recommend the $35 Express 4K+ model 3941 (not the 4K model 3940 at Walmart) - it has dual-band wireless, a wired option with an adapter, a voice remote, and is 4K/HDR capable if you decide to upgrade/replace your TV.

View solution in original post

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What Roku product(s) will work with a Sony Bravia TV (Model KDL-32BX420) manufactured in 2011?

Jump to solution

@PJN1 wrote:

... will the older HDMI ports be an issue for this TV? 

No.

@PJN1 wrote:

... If there are more than one Roku products that would work, which one would work better?  ...

They'll all work. "Better" is subjective. Get the one with the features you want. Right now, people are really high on the Express 4k+
https://www.roku.com/products/compare

@PJN1 wrote:

... Will I need to buy some additional equipment to enable it to work? ...

No.

How is the sound on that TV? If you are also considering getting a sound system, consider the Roku Sound Bar or Streambar. Those have built-in Roku functionality. They are both sound bars and Roku devices. From what I'm reading about that TV, you'd connect the sound bar to HDMI 1 or 2, but not 3.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Any of the Roku Player models should work.

I recommend the $35 Express 4K+ model 3941 (not the 4K model 3940 at Walmart) - it has dual-band wireless, a wired option with an adapter, a voice remote, and is 4K/HDR capable if you decide to upgrade/replace your TV.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@PJN1 wrote:

... will the older HDMI ports be an issue for this TV? 

No.

@PJN1 wrote:

... If there are more than one Roku products that would work, which one would work better?  ...

They'll all work. "Better" is subjective. Get the one with the features you want. Right now, people are really high on the Express 4k+
https://www.roku.com/products/compare

@PJN1 wrote:

... Will I need to buy some additional equipment to enable it to work? ...

No.

How is the sound on that TV? If you are also considering getting a sound system, consider the Roku Sound Bar or Streambar. Those have built-in Roku functionality. They are both sound bars and Roku devices. From what I'm reading about that TV, you'd connect the sound bar to HDMI 1 or 2, but not 3.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

PJN1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I went to Best Buy and bought the Express 4K+ and it works great.  I added Locast.org app to Roku to watch my local channels. Now I need to look at one of the major streaming apps for my additional programming. This will result in some significant savings over my cable bill. Thanks for your quick and helpful response!

0 Kudos
PJN1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your expert and extensive advice!  I decided to go with the Express 4K+ which works great.

0 Kudos
sahari
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

do you think that model would work also with KDL55HX820 sony model 2011?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@sahari, yes.   Any Roku would work on that TV.                                                            

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
sahari
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you. Does this Ruko model support the YouTube TV app?

0 Kudos