Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ConnieD
Level 8

What ROKU device works for a 4K PC Monitor w/o TV?

I am considering purchasing a 4K monitor w/o TV.

What ROKU device should I purchase?

I have a ROKU account and a 4K ROKU device on a smaller monitor/TV.

I am considering a 4K monitor to upgrade my PC, and I would like to have 4K ROKU device or WiFi 4K ROKU on this monitor.

I can see the ROKU channel, only, on my present PC monitor.

I would like to have all my ROKU on the new 4K PC monitor w/o TV I would like to purchase.

Yes or No?

If yes, which 4K ROKU device?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Strega
Level 14

Re: What ROKU device works for a 4K PC Monitor w/o TV?

Are you looking at a monitor with speakers?  (Or if not, how are you planning to do the audio?)

For example I do Roku->AVR-> TV and I don't use the TV's audio at all, so I COULD use a monitor.

ConnieD
Level 8

AVR? 

I could record video?

..that would be excellent.

What do you have, that works?

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 14

AVR = Audio Video Receiver.  It switches HDMI inputs and decodes the sound and sends it to speakers.  Mine is an older model but something like the Yamaha RX-V6A is probably similar.

atc98092
Level 21

AVR is audio-visual receiver. It's just a receiver with HDMI input/outputs. That way your monitor doesn't need speakers.

As to what Roku you should consider, I'd say any of the 4K capable players. The Ultra is the only one that offers an Ethernet jack, and also offers Dolby Vision. However, it's unlikely you'll find a computer monitor that supports DV. 

But unless you have very special requirements, you can likely find a nice 4K TV for less money than a monitor. I just bought a 40" Vizio 4K TV that I use as a computer monitor while I'm teleworking, and also have a Premiere connected to it, and paid about $200 for it. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.